Apple's iTunes Match beta doesn't technically stream music

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Downloading Songs to a cache and playing from there is also what Amazon and Google music services do.

It is the best way for a mobile music service because next next you listen to the song it will already be in the cache so you aren't wasting bandwidth.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Not "true" streaming? Am I reading Cult of Mac here? If you watch the various YouTube demos that were made soon after the beta went live, the song plays immediately when hitting the title and it doesn't get stored on the device unless you select the download button. If you select the download button, it doesn't play - it downloads it. So how about getting clued in before posting?

Don't tell that to GalaxyTab. You might break his heart. In his own alternative universe Apple just couldn't have anything good and people who said otherwise is only fanboys spinning.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

LOL @ MG Siegler gushing about streaming on TechCrunch.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/30/itu...oud-streaming/

The spin on this article will be epic.

• Reply 43 of 47
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

Downloading to a temporary cache with an instant start IS streaming. To say otherwise is deeply ignorant of the way streaming works. This is what Pandora does when it streams music. This is what YouTube does when it streams video. This is the way streaming works.

Incorrect. You've described progressive downloading, the same technology that drives YouTube and most of the other services on the Internet that people think are streaming. You mention YouTube prominently in your rant about how ignorant people are about how streaming works, but that indicates that you don't know how it works.

Streaming implies the ability to seek to any point in a chunk of media without first having downloaded any of the preceding chunks, and except for a small buffer, none of the content is stored locally. You cannot seek ahead in YouTube past the end of the content that has already been downloaded, and presumably the same is true of Apple's solution.

I understand why people might not immediately grasp the difference, but nonetheless, what you take to be streaming is just progressive downloading.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

How is this different than playing a sample snippet of a song on iTunes (Mac or iOS)? I am amazed at how quickly music starts playing on those previews, be it on 3G or WiFi.

I wonder if the technology behind it is the same.

Don't know if its the same technology, but for about a year, if you were trying to download a podcast (say a daily news podcast), and accidentally touched the name of the podcast instead of the download button next to the name, Quicktime launched and streamed the podcast. It was interesting to note when this became possible over 3G, since it loaded surprisingly fast and if interrupted (tower drop) pressing play in quicktime reset the stream at the same point and it kept on coming. Don't know where the cache was stored, but suspect it was disk-based all along given the storage issues.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wouldn't streaming do the same thing for the rest of the library?

Not if I wanted to hear the song again 20 minutes later, but didn't have an internet connection.

This way, if I want a song that just didn't happen to sync last time I connected my iDevice to my Mac, I still have a way to get it, (provided I can get an internet connection, like at my local McD's for example) and then it is on my iDevice untill the next sync or it gets pushed out of the cache.

Not the same as streaming.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I want to own irrevocable copies of music..

Ditto.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Here's what I'm curious about. they say that this 'match' is activating all your tracks as purchased in iTunes (so long as iTunes as the song). If you have songs that you bought on a different Apple ID than the one that you are using for iTM will it activate the song under ID2. For example. I bought some music for my kid sister and brother when they were not old enough to have their own IDs but now they are. I would love to be able to transfer the songs to their new IDs so they can get them back if their computer crashes or whatever. Will the scan pick it up and do it or do I need to have them burn the stuff to a CD, erase it off their library and bring it back for it to pick up.