partitions

davdav
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok, so the folks in general aren't much help, how about here...

i'm about to partition a new drive for my mac, and would like some advice.

i will have a partition for osx, and a partition for a full os9, but should i create another partition with a stripped os9 (for classic in osx), or install the stripped os9 in the same partition as osx? any thoughts on which would be the best setup?

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    In the end I don't think it matters much at all. If you're all into your "stripped" OS 9 then I'd install that one on the same partition as your OS X. So you'll have two. OS 9 "real" and on the other OS 9 stripped and OS X.

I ran OS X and 9 of the same partition for month and had no trouble.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    You will likely get a lot of input on the Apple discussion forums, the one for "Installation and Setup" especially.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by dav:

<strong>ok, so the folks in general aren't much help, how about here...

i'm about to partition a new drive for my mac, and would like some advice.

i will have a partition for osx, and a partition for a full os9, but should i create another partition with a stripped os9 (for classic in osx), or install the stripped os9 in the same partition as osx? any thoughts on which would be the best setup?

thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

there's been a lot of talk about setting up drives and partitions for dual boot situations. here are a couple ideas that should help...

Best setup for dual boot with 2 drives:

Drive 1 - Part. 1 - OS 9.x (complete)

Drive 1 - Part. 2 - OS X

Drive 2 - Part. 1 - OS 9.x (minimal, for classic)

Drive 2 - Part. 2 - OS X's swap volume

Best setup for dual boot with 1 drive:

Part. 1 - OS 9.x (complete & classic)

Part. 2 - OS X

the reason you're better off with only 2 partitions is a matter of drive speeds...

you really should have the first part be OS 9 (full) as apple recommends to aid in fixing any fatal OS X problems, etc. then you have OS X. if you were to add another partition or 2 (and still have plenty of room on the first two for apps, etc.) then you're getting in to the slowest regions of the drive. most people don't know or consider it, but drive speeds drop off considerably after about the first 1/3 of platter space is used (dedicated to a volume). after the 50% mark, its not uncommon for performance to drop as much as 50%! now, this doesn't correlate to a 50% speed drop in system performance, but you won't be seeing any speed gains by moving the OS X swap file to a volume in the slowest region of the drive.