How do I change type/creator codes?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ive tried to download an AVI, but it keeps coming up as a realplayer icon, but I want to play it in QT5. I tried several things in my browser, but it always comes in as RP even when I set QT as the default app for AVI's. Whats even worse RP cant even play this bloody thing. And it keeps adding Rp AVI compatibilty to my browsers compatibility list erasing the QT default.

I guess I need resedit, where is it? How do I change the creator code?

Cheeers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>Ive tried to download an AVI, but it keeps coming up as a realplayer icon, but I want to play it in QT5. I tried several things in my browser, but it always comes in as RP even when I set QT as the default app for AVI's. Whats even worse RP cant even play this bloody thing. And it keeps adding Rp AVI compatibilty to my browsers compatibility list erasing the QT default.

I guess I need resedit, where is it? How do I change the creator code?

Cheeers</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could do it in resedit. There's a shareware utility called FileTyper that's great for doing this. You could also do it in AppleScript.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Also the root of your problem lies with your settings in the Internet Control Panel.

Under the Advanced tab select "File Mapping". Change your Real mappings to QT.

Best,

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: AllInOne ]</p>