Major Airport Card Problem. Need help/advice

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I use an airport card in my G4 tower to use with my Powerbook G4. It worked fine. I went to my aunt's house for New Years and decided to bring the airport card to her house because she has the same PowerMac G4 as me and then we would be wireless there. Brought the card. Put it in. Stuck on startup. Unplugged everything again. went over installation. started it up. it worked.

so, now I'm back home. trying to install it back in my G4 and it just won't work. I've been at this for 2 hours now. When the card is in the G4 it gets stuck on boot when the airport extensions attempt to load (I believe). I was using 9.2.2 with Airport 2.

My theory was that I has the Airport 2 firmware. and her airport 1 software downgraded the firmware. So I installed 9.1. no go. tried 9.2.1, no go.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone know what to do or how to flush a airport card to make it fresh?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, how far does this aunt live from you? Could you run over there tomorrow night, pop it back in, and update her Airport to v. 2.0?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Well, how far does this aunt live from you? Could you run over there tomorrow night, pop it back in, and update her Airport to v. 2.0?</strong><hr></blockquote>

129 miles away in Audubon, PA
  • Reply 3 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    applenut-

Try posting on Apple's discussion boards...

They usually can help with this sort of thing..

-Paul
  • Reply 4 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm within my 90 day warranty to.

Tried a few more things still won't work. OS X boots with it installed but doesn't "see" it.

Think the card could have been damaged in the trip or something? I put it in a static free bag and soft case. I've seen PC cards be thrown around and stepped on and still work fine. so I'm guessing he can't be that
  • Reply 5 of 5
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Switch the Airport cards from your tower and laptop. If one works and the other does not, you will know where the problem lies depending on which computer sees the card.

And I'm sure you've done this, but I will mention it anyway... make sure all the connections to the card and the antennas are tight.

-Ender