iPhone dilemma

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I start a new job next Tuesday that requires me to purchase either an iphone or a blackberry (the only two platforms supported by the IT dept) for use with our firm systems. The firm will reimburse the purchase.

I am done with the BlackBerry platform, and I want to pick up an iPhone. I'm out of contract with ATT, so the timing is good in that respect. With respect to product cycle, however, my timing sucks, obviously.

What's the best guess right now as to when we can expect new iPhone hardware? I'd really hate to burn my upgrade now, only to be faced with gadget sickness in two weeks when the inevitable new hardware is introduced.

ALso, what is the return policy at ATT for iphones? Could I get away with picking up an iphone4 now and returning it when the new handset is released?

Decisions, decisions...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post

What's the best guess right now as to when we can expect new iPhone hardware?

We don't know. We can't know. Early October after a late September announcement alongside the iPod family? Apple will tell us eventually.

Quote:

Could I get away with picking up an iphone4 now and returning it when the new handset is released?

You'd be laughed out of the store, probably.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    New hardware seems to be expected by October... But it's just a guess...

Apple generally accepts returns within two weeks, but charges a restocking fee... I couldn't tell you if that is the policy for iPhones as well... The service provider contract throws a wrench into that "plan". (unless you buy the phone at the $600 unsubsidized price.)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post

The firm will reimburse the purchase.

If your new employer insists you use your new smartphone for his purposes I would insist on him

not only reimbursing it's purchase but also reimbursing it's use in his service.

And unless your new employer will also be picking up the expenses of your personal use of the iPhone I would get myself a separate SIM card to keep the expenses of personal and business use strictly separated.

That will also enable you to completely switch off business calls when you're on e.g. vacation, asleep, or on, say, long weekends when you go away.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chuck O. Jones View Post

If your new employer insists you use your new smartphone for his purposes I would insist on him

not only reimbursing it's purchase but also reimbursing it's use in his service.

And unless your new employer will also be picking up the expenses of your personal use of the iPhone I would get myself a separate SIM card to keep the expenses of personal and business use strictly separated.

That will also enable you to completely switch off business calls when you're on e.g. vacation, asleep, or on, say, long weekends when you go away.

Firm pays for service too, no worries. And, unfortunately, switching off completely will never be an option...