Monitor down only in OS X...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys, got a question.

So, we got in a 733 QS tower here in the English department, along with a Mitsubishi Diamondtron 17" CRT monitor. When I unpacked them, they worked fine together. However, when I went to switch the resolution (in OS X) to something above 1024 x 768, the monitor went black and its normal green "powered" light turned orange, as if the computer had gone to sleep. I fixed the problem yesterday simply by switching resolutions back to 1024 x 768 (through guessing where the larger resolution button was and clicking blindly on-screen).

Today, however, the professor I work with (who wasn't informed about this problem) switched the resolution and the monitor went off again. I can't get the monitor to work again with OS X. I've tested another monitor with the tower and it works fine in both OS X and OS 9 (ADC Apple 17"). I've used the hardware test CD (no problems detected). I used the second monitor to switch to OS 9. The original monitor will work fine in any resolution in OS 9. It won't work at all using any resolution in OS X. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Are there any preferences I can try deleting? Anything besides a full reinstall (I spent all day yesterday updating both OSs and transferring files) would be really nice.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Gamrin

East Carolina University

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    zap the PRAM first. What refresh rate @ 1024x768 were you using? Start at 60Hz and move up from there until you find what frequency it balks at. That monitor should handle 1024x768 at 85Hz. Try it at 75Hz first.

--Mike
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    Thanks for the reply, Mike. I tried zapping the PRAM (I assume that the key combination works the same in OS X as it does in OS 9). Still no image on the monitor after bootup. I could switch the monitor from 75 to 85 MHz in OS X, but I have to hook up the second monitor again to do that. When I hook up the second monitor (the ADC one), unlike with the CRT monitor, I don't have the option of switching the MHz ratings for each resolution... I think. I'll try it and see, though. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Gamrin