Apple's iTunes U hits 600 million education downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's iTunes U, an initiative encouraging schools to offer print, audio and video downloads of their education programs almost entirely free to the public, has hit a new milestone of 600 million downloads.

The program was unveiled in early 2007, but according to Apple's figures obtained by The Loop, half of those downloads have occurred over the last year.

Apple noted hitting a milestone of 300 million downloads last August, meaning the service has snowballed in growth since.

Nearly a third (30 percent) of iTunes U traffic now originates from iOS devices. The service, available worldwide in 123 countries, also counts 60 percent of its users as being outside the US.

Apple states that there are now over 1,000 universities actively participating in iTunes U (up from 800 one year ago). Among the most prolific are Open University and Stanford University, which Apple has partnered with in other projects as well. Both have shared more than 30 million downloads with users.

Yale University, MIT, University of California Berkeley and the University of South Florida have all reached 20 million downloads each, while Emory University, Harrisburg Area Community College, Ludwig Maxmillians University of Germany and Oxford University have all surpassed the ten million download mark.

Participating organizations often make their content available free to the public, although some limit access to their own members. For example, Apple itself publishes its Worldwide Developer Conference sessions via iTunes U, but only to registered developers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The typo in the headline will probably be fixed by the time comments on this topic are exhausted. And nit-picking about typos isn't my point. I'm glad to see iTunes U is apparently so popular, and I will peruse it looking for something I think is really needed on the World Wide Web: A degree program in Journalism, editing and proofreading crafted for online environments.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Love iTunes U. That's where I learned to code in iOS from the free Stanford class lectures!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

Love iTunes U. That's where I learned to code in iOS from the free Stanford class lectures!

Ditto!

It's a great class.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

Link us up, please.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Link us up, please.

Stanford iOS Lectures:

HD

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=395605774

SD

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=395631522
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I can't believe I've missed this side of iTunes. I've got Spotify so never really felt like exploring iTunes....This with an iPad would be awesome!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Great Achievement! I have used it to learn iOS development. There are lots of other subject matter that I want to learn and they all are free when more time is available.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    To put this number into perspective, consider that there are about 15 million college/university students (incl. graduate students) in the US. Assuming each download equals one lecture (of course, that could be a stretch), that would be the equivalent of every college/university student in the US having taken about three to four weeks of lectures from iTunes U.

From zero a few years ago.

Stunning.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I've been an avid user of iTunes U. I have to say congratulations to Apple & all those universities for this great initiative. It kinds of partially establishes the saying that Education is the right of every human being.

"Education is a human right with immense power to transform. On its foundation rest the cornerstones of freedom, democracy and sustainable human development."

- Kofi Annan

I'm kind of surprised that I never came across any US Govt. initiative for providing top class education (classes) from leading institutes of country.

Here at least in this sector, our Indian govt. (Ministry of Human Resources Department) has done a great job by providing the free lectures of leading branches of engineering from our country's top engineering institutes. (IITs)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nptelhrd#g/p

nptel.iitm.ac.in

That's NPTEL (National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning)

By the way, these days I am watching Khan Academy's Physics classes via iTunes U. Though I am an engineering graduate, I have to say that lot of old concepts were forgotten from my mind. Physics's truly natural science. I'm kind of enjoying the study of physics.