Need help sharing files between OSX & XP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have both computers connected to the internet thru an ethernet hub and I am curious if there is anyway to share files between the two in this fashion or if I would have to get a router instead to do this or simply a crossover cable directly connecting the two together?

Burning CD-RW's to move files from the Mac to the PC is old. Someone please help me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    katekate Posts: 172member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacFan:

<strong> Someone please help me </strong><hr></blockquote>

No need for cross cables or another device. Your hub does already what you need. You need to have either DHCP activated as network settings on both or use static addresses. It depends on you other network settings.

To share files between PC and Mac you may use either FTP or one of the various protocol helper apps like Sharity, Dave, PCMaclan etc. What to use depends on the system you are running, e.g. Mac OS 9 or X, Windows NT, 98, 2000 or whatever. In case of X and XP you would need just Sharity to make life a bit more easy, however the built in SMB client functions in X would let you have access to to the XP box, but not vice versa. In that case you need to install Samba, good online FAQs about that can be found at dozens of sites.

Do a search here, the various possibilities have been discussed here repeatedly.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Kate ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try it and let you know how it goes. I tried to do this with Dave and ran into problems and was not able to troubleshoot it. Figured it may have something to do with the fact that I have am using an ethernet hub rather than a router.

Thanks again
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    Why not just set your XP Machine to connect to your iTools forlder? Then you can drop whatever you need on your iTools disk from one machine and pick it up on the other.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Duals ]</p>