Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Even with an improved antenna design, Apple's next-generation iPhone is expected to look largely the same as the current iPhone 4, and it will also feature the same amount of RAM: 512MB.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told AppleInsider on Monday that Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone will sport the same 512MB of DRAM as the iPhone 4. In addition, the hardware will feature a glass front and back, just like the current iPhone.

The so-called "iPhone 5" is also expected to have an improved antenna design, potentially addressing concerns that arose last year when it was discovered that covering the bottom left corner of the iPhone 4 could reduce reception. Though the antenna will be improved, Kuo indicated there will be little change to its shape, and users will not see a discernable difference in its appearance.

Dubbed "N94," the new iPhone model will reportedly also use the same Gorilla glass for its back panel. Kuo also said it will be available in both black and white models at launch, and 60 percent of units assembled so far have been of the black variety.

Echoing a report from earlier this month, he also said that Foxconn will be responsible for manufacturing 85 percent of Apple's fifth-generation iPhone units. The other 15 percent will reportedly be assembled by Pegatron.

In all Apple is said to be planning to build 30 million fifth-generation iPhone units by the end of calendar 2011. If Apple were to meet that goal and sell all of the handsets in the holiday quarter, it would easily best the record 20.34 million iPhones Apple sold in its June 2011 quarter.

The next iPhone will also reportedly have a higher resolution 8 megapixel camera. According to Kuo's industry checks, the camera modules for the iPhone 5 will be made by Sony and Omnivision, and the module will be almost the same height as the one found in the iPhone 4.

The higher resolution of the new camera module is said to have presented a design challenge for Apple, which is looking to keep it the same height as the lower 5-megapixel camera found in the iPhone 4.

The size of the rear camera module is said to be one of the main reasons that the next iPhone will not have a radically changed design. Kuo said the handset is expected to look similar to the iPhone 4, with components sandwiched between two pieces of glass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 179
    My impression is that if the iPhone 5 looks exactly like the 4.... They may be building too many of them. There will be many disappointed fence-sitters.
  • Reply 2 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

My impression is that if the iPhone 5 looks exactly like the 4.... They may be building too many of them. There will be many disappointed fence-sitters.

Agreed. The thinner build with a bigger screen design and a touch sensitive home button for app switching would be enough to sell me.

Just an A5 chip and world phone capabilities would bore me. Apple knows how to add new features when they're necessary to make sure demand is greater than supply. It'll be different enough that it'll get lots of hype.

Otherwise same with me, Im keeping my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.
  • Reply 3 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    With all the rumored improvements coupled with case designs leaked from various sources, I'd be very surprised if the newest iPhone looks the same as the iPhone4. Perhaps I need to prepare to be "very surprised". . .
  • Reply 4 of 179
    Yea! Let's rehash the same thing a million times and call it breaking news!
  • Reply 5 of 179
    Hopefully this time the antenna really is improved so I will be able to get reception at my house again, like I did with my original and 3GS iPhones.
  • Reply 6 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex.sebenski View Post

Agreed. The thinner build with a bigger screen design and a touch sensitive home button for app switching would be enough to sell me.

Really? Why is a touch home button so important?
  • Reply 7 of 179
    I wish Apple would do something about the home button. I've never had a cell phone where the buttons worked for the duration of my contract, and sadly my 3GS is no different.

The home button (the only button on the stinking phone) only works intermittently and it's quite frustrating because I love my iPhone otherwise. I will probably fork over $200 for another one because no other phones are any better, but I would really love it if Apple found another way to get to the home screen without using this damned button.
  • Reply 8 of 179
    Quote:

My impression -- based on the fact that Apple sold 20 million iPhones last quarter -- is that Apple will sell every single one of these 30 million units and there will still be a backlog of people who want the new iPhone.

There will maybe be tens of thousands of disappointed fence-sitters, the few people who regularly post to tech rumor blogs. Joe Consumer will be quite happy with the new device and Apple will end on atop the next smartphone customer satisfaction survey, just like they always do.

And AAPL shareholders will stub their toes tripping over large sacks of money proliferating all over the place.
  • Reply 9 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Really? Why is a touch home button so important?

Double tapping the home button and choosing the app to switch to both wear out my home button and takes too much time. I dont mind if the home button is still a physical button, but I want a way to quick switch apps like the iPad and the 4/5 finger gestures. I believe this will be done with a touch sensitive area near the home button in this generation of devices.
  • Reply 10 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex.sebenski View Post

Just an A5 chip and world phone capabilities would bore me. Apple knows how to add new features when they're necessary to make sure demand is greater than supply. It'll be different enough that it'll get lots of hype.

Otherwise same with me, Im keeping my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

I tell you what, if the iPhone 5 ends up being like the so called iPhone 4S and not the slight teardrop/slightly larger screen, I'll be keeping my iPhone 3GS with iOS 5 never mind upgrading to an iPhone 4!

If they really do refresh the 4 with a 4S and also release a 5, that would explain all the mixes messages we are getting.

It really really really cracks me up when we get a news article with someone saying they know that the iPhone 5 will be largely the same as the 4 then 2 minutes later, we get another article saying the iPhone 5 will have significant changes. Grrrr
  • Reply 11 of 179
    Come October, it has been 16 months since the iPhone 4 was introduced. I don't believe Apple will release a phone that is indistinguishable to the eye from it's predecessor after that length of time. Apple is going to want all those iPhone 4 owners to trade up, they are going to want this iPhone to be the fastest selling ever to demonstrate how Apple can do just as well without Steve at the helm.

Perhaps this is the cheap iPhone.

Let's also not forget that Apple released that icon with the latest iPhoto beta which lines up all too well with the leaked case designs that have been floating around for months.
  • Reply 12 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The so-called "iPhone 5" is also expected to have an improved antenna design, potentially addressing concerns that arose last year when it was discovered that covering the bottom left corner of the iPhone 4 could reduce reception.

The iPhone 4 has the best reception of any phone anywhere. But now Apple will make it even better.
  • Reply 13 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalpen View Post

Yea! Let's rehash the same thing a million times and call it breaking news!

Agreed. We all know iPhone 5 is coming, followed by iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 etc. as is iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad 5 etc. How on earth is any of this news, especially when there are several articles on it every day?

And by the way, who on earth is Ming-Chi Kuo, and why should I give a stuff what he thinks?
  • Reply 14 of 179
    If it looks largely the same then I guess I will be less tempted to go buy one for $649 (since I am on a contract with Verizon that is nowhere near its upgrade date). I wonder if there will be more than meets the eye though, as in even though it looks largely the same will the improvements be massive enough internally to get people to upgrade.

The big killer feature for me, since I intend to travel a bit would be CDMA and GSM in one.
  • Reply 15 of 179
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

The home button (the only button on the stinking phone) ...

You don't have a power button on yours? Or volume buttons?
  • Reply 16 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Joe Consumer will be quite happy with the new device and Apple will end on atop the next smartphone customer satisfaction survey, just like they always do.

Why would people jump at an iPhone 4.1? If anything, Joe Consumer will jump at *any* perceived advance, even if they thing only *looks* completely different. If it looks the same and the improvements are subtle, I'm not sold that this'll sell any better than the 4 sells now (not that that's the end of the world for Apple).

Better antenna and camera! Yay! RLY?
  • Reply 17 of 179
    Quote:

I like the current design... it is not made of cheap plastic. The Gorilla glass and the Stainless Steel antenna give it a good solid feel... I do use an Apple bumper for protection. The design is very efficient in terms of space use and improvements in battery capacity and components will extend the the time between charging. The thickness certainly allows for an improved camera not only with better sensor, but also optics and flash.

Besides an improved camera, battery capacity and faster CPU, larger screen with small bezel, I would have preferred 64 GB of Flash, and 1 GB of RAM. World roaming helps, but the charges are too expensive for ATT overseas. I would have to unlock it before I leave, etc. Easier to use a cheap GSM Nokia and buy a prepaid SIM... or use an old unlocked iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Quit being complicated

I know what he means though. The home button on my 3GS has started to play up after 2 years use.

A touch sensitive home button would certainly remove that issue.
  • Reply 19 of 179
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Same heavy bulky design as iPhone 4 = No Sale.
  • Reply 20 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Yeah, that's clearly relevant to the point I was making.