Windows 8: what I wish my iPad was

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59mP3...layer_embedded

Windows 8. It's iOS but better, and it has Finder. It's Windows 7 Phone plus Windows Explorer. Cool.

I would like Apple to either make MacOS X run on an iPad, running iOS over it as a layer (and preferably taking the restrictions out of iOS, and being customizable like Android). Or I would like a Windows 8 Tablet.

Or perhaps a better scenario...new monitors on MacBook Airs are touchscreens and flip over with a rotating hinge to transform into tablets. Imagine the 11" MacBook Air with the power of both iOS and MacOS X (again, I wish iOS was Android but oh well...widgets/tiles are so nice, iOS simply doesn't have these).

I'm really impressed with Microsoft. What does everyone else think.

I'll be downloading and installing Windows 8 to my Boot Camp. It's free to test the developer preview. dev.windows.com. It would be smart of Apple to release their betas of OS X as public like they once did, with easy feedback, like Mail has now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I would like Apple to either make MacOS X run on an iPad

They did in 2004. It had no point and was horrible to use, so they never released it.

Quote:

new monitors on MacBook Airs are touchscreens and flip over with a rotating hinge to transform into tablets.

Ugh.

Quote:

I'm simply impressed that they're actually trying to create something original, both with Windows Phone 7 and the Windows 8 overlay. Kudos to them and happy competition.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I think you're easily impressed. Until it's real and in my hands for $499, I'm reserving judgment. It looks good and may function effectively, I'm just not sure that I want it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

I think you're easily impressed. Until it's real and in my hands for $499, I'm reserving judgment. It looks good and may function effectively, I'm just not sure that I want it.

I felt the same way about iPhone. I picked up an iPhone 4 and hated it in about 30 seconds. It took that long to place a call. Bzzz... fail. I have an iPad 2 and I'm extremely unimpressed as well. My Droid has Contact widgets. And voice recognition which I use multiple times a day, to either speak long queries into Google or Google Navigation. For my workflow this is infinitely superior. However, your workflow may work best with iOS. I know for example musicians prefer using iOS devices to plug instruments in to for iOS' low audio latency. Now..this applies to Windows 8 as well. The widgets are "Tiles". It looks great. Especially the way they can display Apps AND Explorer at the SAME time!!! Apple so needs this.

I see your point, though. Nothing can replace actually using the product hands-on. Even a product video is nowhere near as good as using it yourself. So...I'll post my thoughts on Win 8 tablets whenever Best Buy has 'em. I'll be trying it on my MacBook Pro though.

Tallest...why don't you think MacBook Airs should have flip-over touch screens? Perhaps it could be a Built To Order or a different line, like...MacBook Air: Touch. I see so many people with iPads I see toting around a keyboard in a case. I hate soft keyboards with a passion and I've met lots of other people who also do as well.