Steve Jobs resignation has little effect on Apple product demand

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Consumer demand for Apple products is unlikely to be impacted by the resignation of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, says one of two new studies, while the other reaffirms that the iPad will continue ?dominating? the enterprise tablet market for the foreseeable future.



A survey conducted by ChangeWave during the week of Sept. 6-12 showed that only 4 percent of 2,297 consumers are ?Less Likely? to buy Apple products following Jobs? resignation, while 89 percent of respondents indicated that the change in leadership will have ?No Effect? on whether they purchase products from the company.



The research firm has conducted similar surveys since Steve Jobs? first leave of absence. In June 2008, 18 percent of respondents said they would be ?Less Likely? to buy Apple products if Jobs stepped down. That figure has dropped steadily since then, with the current response rate of 4 percent reaching an all-time low since the survey started three years ago.



Before tendering his resignation in August, Jobs took three leaves of absence on medical grounds. Each time Tim Cook, then COO of the company, assumed day-to-day operations.



The firm went on to suggest that Jobs? previous absences have had ?an ?inoculating? effect that over time has allayed consumer concerns on whether the company could operate at the same level without Steve Jobs at the helm.?







A second ChangeWave survey focusing on tablet demand in the business market surveyed 1,618 corporate IT buyers from Aug. 10 to 29. The study showed that the iPad ?remains the overwhelming choice for planned tablet purchasers.?



80 percent of companies that plan on buying a tablet next quarter said they will go with the iPad. Apple's share remained unchanged since the previous survey conducted in May. Other tablet makers that companies shower interest in were Samsung, Dell, Motorola and RIM. Interestingly enough, 10 percent of respondents had selected Hewlett-Packard as their companies' next tablet purchase, but the device has since been discontinued.







Last October, Jobs compared business demand for the iPad to holding a tiger by the tail. "We haven't pushed it (the iPad) real hard in business, and it's being grabbed out of our hands," he said.



For the most recent quarter, which ended in June, Apple reported 9.25 million iPad sales, posting 183 percent growth as compared to the same period in the previous year. The company also noted that 47 percent of Global 500 companies and 86 percent of Fortune 500 companies are testing or deploying the touchscreen tablet.



According to one recent report, Apple manufacturing partner Hon Hai increased iPad 2 shipment forecasts for the third quarter from 14 million to 20 million. Late last week, investment bank J.P. Morgan raised its estimates for total tablet shipments in 2011 to 51.9 million units, with 70.9 percent of the devices expected to be iPads.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 28
    So much for the "fairy dust" theory of Apple's success.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Apple will likely stay great for several years at least. Steve's still involved, and should that change I'm sure he and Apple have years of plans and new ideas formulated. I don't expect to see a drop in awesomeness for at least 3-4 years. I'm sure there's several notepads of genius sitting around up there waiting to be realized. Maybe we'll see less stubbornness in some areas first.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Why would demand change for products he's already had a hand in designing? Wait a year or so, and see if demand holds once Apple begins rolling out new devices, software, and services that he didn't directly oversee, and judge the value of his influence.



    Personally, I think it's going to be the Next years all over again.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    So much for the "fairy dust" theory of Apple's success.



    Well, there's always the "sheeple theory"
  • Reply 5 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,973member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post


    Apple will likely stay great for several years at least. Steve's still involved, and should that change I'm sure he and Apple have years of plans and new ideas formulated. I don't expect to see a drop in awesomeness for at least 3-4 years. I'm sure there's several notepads of genius sitting around up there waiting to be realized. Maybe we'll see less stubbornness in some areas first.



    The last time a company was this dominant was the two and a half decades MS enjoyed. I see no reason Apple shouldn't be top of the heap for at least ten years or more.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    But where oh where is the DED article detailing how Windows 8 is exactly the same as OSX!?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Steve has set a long period of success in motion but eventually the absence of his genius will take its toll.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post


    But where oh where is the DED article detailing how Windows 8 is exactly the same as OSX!?



    How about when Windows 8 beta is released?



    Why attack DED anyway? His articles are quite refreshing because unlike most articles he actually does some research.



    It's not hard to see he's right most of the time.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    And why would it have any effect on consumer demand?



    Only in the delusional and perverted minds of Android fans, trolls and other mentally unstable people with underdeveloped sexual organs, does the demented fantasy exist that Apple will be doomed after Steve Jobs is gone.



    As long as Apple continues to release kick ass products that puts the competition to shame which spurs a million copycats, people will continue to buy and want Apple products.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    How about when Windows 8 beta is released?



    Why attack DED anyway? His articles are quite refreshing because unlike most articles he actually does some research.



    It's not hard to see he's right most of the time.



    OMG That was funny. Anyway, I am sure he is playing with the Windows 8 preview as we speak.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post


    Why attack DED anyway?



    Bashing anyone who is an avid fan/supporter of Apple is the newest trend here at AndroidInsider and also at WindowsRumors.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post


    Bashing anyone who is an avid fan/supporter of Apple is the newest trend here at AndroidInsider and also at WindowsRumors.



    Not anyone. Just DED. You know the one that will distort any fact to spread his own delusions. This site will only improve if he stops posting. It's no surprise that MacRumours has 10+ times the comments for same topic articles.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post


    Not anyone. Just DED. You know the one that will distort any fact to spread his own delusions. This site will only improve if he stops posting. It's no surprise that MacRumours has 10+ times the comments for same topic articles.



    Just reviewed your post history. Your obsession with bashing DED is really creepy.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post


    Not anyone. Just DED. You know the one that will distort any fact to spread his own delusions. This site will only improve if he stops posting. It's no surprise that MacRumours has 10+ times the comments for same topic articles.



    How about you contribute to the discussion, then, instead of hounding the author at every turn?



    Or maybe you could try out a new forum. I hear PCRumors would love to have more users.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Just reviewed your post history. Your obsession with bashing DED is really creepy.



  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    How about you contribute to the discussion, then, instead of hounding the author at every turn?



    Or maybe you could try out a new forum. I hear PCRumors would love to have more users.



    Really? A lecture from the poster that bashes anyone who doesn't drink straight from the koolaid pitcher with the Apple logo etched on the side? Interesting.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post


    Bashing anyone who is an avid fan/supporter of Apple is the newest trend here at AndroidInsider and also at WindowsRumors.



    Welcome to the brave new world, where Apple users don't have to be Apple Obsessives, and can remain unbiased and realistically critical, even if the product/software/service did happen to come from the Church of Steve. Get used to it, because there are more and more of us everyday, and very soon we will outnumber you and your fanboy ilk.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


    Welcome to the brave new world, where Apple users don't have to be Apple Obsessives, and can remain unbiased and realistically critical, even if the product/software/service did happen to come from the Church of Steve.



    This is the kind I was refering to. Often recognizable by the join date/number of posts.



    Nobody is being obsessive. People used to gather in an Apple-centric site to share their enthusiasm, sometimes a bit overblown let's say. That includes venting some frustration towards an often "Apple-unfriendly" world.

    Then all of a sudden, as Apple stops being the underdog of the tech industry, anyone criticizing Google, Samsung, Adobe or Microsoft is immediately labeled as "iSheep", "Fanboi", etc.



    This is the new kind of "Sheep", following the new trend; claiming to be "objective", sometimes to "Love ALL of technology" in a tone of defense. To me, it sounds just like the guy who says "Hey, I'm NOT racist; I have ONE black friend!".





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


    Get used to it, because there are more and more of us everyday, and very soon we will outnumber you and your fanboy ilk.



    Sounds like it must feel great to be part of "the new resistance" against evil Apple. Sounds pretty juvenile, too. Almost as much as "B... But my Dad can kick your a**".
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


    Welcome to the brave new world, where Apple users don't have to be Apple Obsessives, and can remain unbiased and realistically critical, even if the product/software/service did happen to come from the Church of Steve. Get used to it, because there are more and more of us everyday, and very soon we will outnumber you and your fanboy ilk.





    Apple used to be the brand which appealed mostly to self-satisfied cultists. Now it has set its sights on the mainstream.



    It used to happen a lot with musical acts. A small group of cultists would love their first indie release, and congratulate themselves on being better than the squares. But when the band releases a major-label hit, and starts to sell in the mainstream, they abandon them.



    Are we seeing Apple go that route? When it was Macs, Apple was a cult brand.



    With the success of their non-computer products, they are quickly becoming the mainstream choice for the "I don't know nothing" crowd. Grandmothers. Children. Technophobes.



    And everyone and anyone else.



    So just like The Clash, just like U2 and R.E.M., just like Nirvana, Apple is switching from cult to mainstream. It will blow the minds of the fanboys, and it will take years to happen. Expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the meantime.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


    Really? A lecture from the poster that bashes anyone who doesn't drink straight from the koolaid pitcher with the Apple logo etched on the side? Interesting.



    You people are just too funny. I mean, do you bother to do any sort of research at all before randomly flapping your lips?



    If I were your boss, I'd fire you on principle. It's just bad business and embarrassing to have your employees behave like that.
Sign In or Register to comment.