multiple monitors, top bar

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I have two monitors. Dock & top menu bar on the primary monitor, nothing on the second. So how am I supposed to access the top menu bar on my second monitor? Should I move my mouse from the second monitor to the primary, just to select something?

Isn't it time Apple put the menu bar INSIDE the app, just as with Windows? There's no advantage in having a menu bar outside the app, that worked back in the 80s but doesn't make sense now...

I'm using OSX for years but still I find myself opening the menu, realizing it shows the menu from a another app that's open.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Isn't it time Apple put the menu bar INSIDE the app, just as with Windows?

No. Interface design since the beginning of time says that Apple is doing it the right way.

Quote:

There's no advantage in having a menu bar outside the app, that worked back in the 80s but doesn't make sense now...

Fewer people use multiple monitors than ever before, so it makes exactly as much sense as it always has.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. Interface design since the beginning of time says that Apple is doing it the right way.

Please elaborate why Apple (or you) think this is the right way.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    When I use multiple monitors I drag the top bar to the monitor I'll need it (using the Displays preference pane) in depending on the type of work I'll be doing. I rarely if ever "need" the top bar on both as the extra monitor usually serves as an adjunct to the one I'm doing most of my work in. Your circumstances may differ.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

When I use multiple monitors I drag the top bar to the monitor I'll need it (using the Displays preference pane) in depending on the type of work I'll be doing. I rarely if ever "need" the top bar on both as the extra monitor usually serves as an adjunct to the one I'm doing most of my work in. Your circumstances may differ.

Thanks. yes, that is what we do sometimes, but in our case we are running two apps at the same time which require the menu bar often.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    I think it's an option Apple should offer but I can sort of understand why they don't. There are a few 3rd party options:

secondmenu - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33264/secondbar

dejamenu - http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13040/dejamenu

and menueverywhere - http://www.binarybakery.com/menueverywhere.html

None of them look very nice but should do the job. If Apple just had checkboxes per window in the arrange panel to display a menu and dock, it would help.

I don't think menus per application window are a good idea though.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27s_law
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fewer people use multiple monitors than ever before, so it makes exactly as much sense as it always has.

What are you talking about! More people are using multiple monitors than ever before. In every office I have ever seen. I have 3 at work.

I don't think Macs handle second monitors well. However, I don't think Windows does either. This is an area that most operating systems (all commonly used ones?) do not handle well. It's actually a big deal and yet somehow no one has address it yet.

And what you basically said in your answer is "You're holding it wrong". No. Power users want flexibility.

that said, dacloo the reason Macs don't have menus inside the application is a simple but important reason. There is infinite space above the menu bar on Macs. On Windows you have to stop just SHORT of the top of the screen and potentially "miss" the menu if zooming up with the cursor fast. I think Tognazzini (http://www.asktog.com/) discussed this one time. He is a GUI expert. Many of his OS X criticisms still stand. But little details like this are why Mac OS is easier to use than Windows, and consequently more powerful.

Marvin I like that SecondMenuBar. Seems like it would be a nice little check-box option in Appearance Prefs. I think you said it best, it would be a nice option, perhaps to have to go and turn on in Prefs.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

- Takes up less screen space. Important back in the day and important for mobile users now.

- Always in the same place

- Shows you clearly which application you are working in.

- Easier to move the mouse to (it's always right at the top so a thrust of the mouse gets you there)

I don't find any advantages to the Windows preference (I'm a reluctant PC user 40 hrs a week, every week).