Apple seen in 'no rush' to release iPad 3 as competitors struggle

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple reportedly has prototypes for its third-generation iPad already circling in its supply chain, but no new model is expected to arrive this year as a true second-place tablet has yet to emerge.



Analyst Mark Moskowitz with J.P. Morgan revealed on Friday that his conversations with industry insiders have revealed that Apple's next iPad will not be available until sometime in 2012, even as prototypes for the device begin to circle in the supply chain.



"In our view, Apple should be in no rush," he said. "The other tablet entrants have stumbled so far, and that trend-line could persist deep into 2012."



Throughout 2011, reports persisted that Apple planned to release a high-end successor to the iPad 2, which was released in March. Rather than replace the iPad 2, it was said the new model would grow the iPad family, perhaps by offering a higher resolution display.



And while Apple works behind the scenes on its next iPad, in July an alleged "iPad 3" part was discovered. A report accompanying that component suggested the model would sport a "brand-new design."



But Apple should be in no rush to grow the iPad lineup, in Moskowitz's view, as competitors like Motorola and Research in Motion have disappointed with their own competing offerings. RIM announced on Thursday that it has shipped just 200,000 PlayBooks, far less than the 9.25 million iPads Apple sold in its most recent quarter.



Moskowitz believes the next tablet to stumble will come from Sony, which recently demoed new hardware. The analyst said he was not impressed by what he saw.



"To us, Sony's tablet lacks the refined, sleek feel of the iPad and its bezel-like back is not user-friendly," he wrote in a note to investors. "Lastly, the sony tablet runs on the Android O/S, which has failed to garner as much interest in tablets as it has in smartphones."







In fact, IDC announced on Wednesday that Apple's iPad 2 actually took market share away from Android tablets shipped in the second quarter of calendar 2011. Apple represented 68.3 percent of the market, growing its share as Android dropped to 26.8 percent of shipped hardware.



Moskowitz sees Amazon as having potential to create a true second-place tablet in the market, though he believes an e-reader carries "diminished user expectations" when compared to a full-fledged tablet, making the transition from e-ink to color touchscreen difficult. The device is expected to launch in the coming weeks with a 7-inch color touchscreen and a $250 price tag.



"Amazon's Kindle may not be a harbinger of the company's future success in tablets, in our view," he said. "Until we see how Amazon fares, we think the next potential threat to Apple's tablet dominance is not until late 2012 when Windows 8-based tablets could hit the market."
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 95
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Too bad for those that invested into the other tablets. Especially that Xoom monstrosity that costs well over $800. I don't see an e-reader competing with the iPad anytime soon. You also have to eliminate the stigma of an e-reader, where its not up to par with a full fledged tablet, whether it is or not.



    Apple has the thousand yard stare for Windows 8 tablets at the end of next year. Being able to see the competitions platform and innovate around it a full year out is one hell of an advantage. That is of course saying that the MS Windows 8 platform will have legs, and from the looks of things, having to have a fan inside a tablet spells major disaster.
  • Reply 2 of 95
    An "amazon tablet" can hardly be considered "Android" when it lacks the Android Marketplace and tight integration of Google's services. That's the risk google took with open-sourcing android.



    The whole idea behind android is to keep the door open to consumers so Google can deliver search results. They gave away the OS on smartphones and it worked - 50% marketshare. But it's not working on tablets. What happens when Windows 8 and iOS become the two major tablet platforms, and Apple suddenly switches the default search engine to Bing or Yahoo, and starts providing their own Maps service? Trouble in Mountain View.
  • Reply 3 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post


    Too bad for those that invested into the other tablets. Especially that Xoom monstrosity that costs well over $800. I don't see an e-reader competing with the iPad anytime soon. You also have to eliminate the stigma of an e-reader, where its not up to par with a full fledged tablet, whether it is or not.



    Apple has the thousand yard stare for Windows 8 tablets at the end of next year. Being able to see the competitions platform and innovate around it a full year out is one hell of an advantage. That is of course saying that the MS Windows 8 platform will have legs, and from the looks of things, having to have a fan inside a tablet spells major disaster.



    REALLY? You are going to pull the fan comment out? Dude, that hardware is not the final hardware by any means. It was merely run on the Samsung(?) tablets as an early developer demo. Did you even read the Windows 8 articles or are you just trying to spread FUD? The final product will run on a low-powered ARM processor....no fan, no heat.
  • Reply 4 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    RIM announced on Thursday that it has shipped just 200,000 PlayBooks, far less than the 9.25 million iPads Apple sold in its most recent quarter.



    9.25 million in 90 days is equivalent to 102,777 everyday
  • Reply 5 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    The final product will run on a low-powered ARM processor....no fan, no heat.



    No, actually, the final product will run on ARM hardware AND intel hardware - which may very well struggle with heat dissipation. We haven't seen anything from Intel suggesting otherwise.
  • Reply 6 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,512member
    I realize this is just a rumor but if I were Apple I'd wait too. More time to widen the gap by incorporating new concepts and better hardware as technology accelerates making these things available. Why tip your hand and allow others to copy your latest ideas sooner than needed. The others currently are aiming at the iPad 2 so let them bring out their clones based on that knowledge. Apple will shift the goal posts far more the longer they wait plus do far more damage to the copiers who just invested in their latest copies. I am sure Apple will be able to gear up and go into production very fast as soon as Tim drops the start flag leaving the clones chocking in the dust and their unsold inventory.
  • Reply 7 of 95
    When Microsoft's Internet Explorer was the overwhelming market leader, Microsoft sat on its laurels and didn't improve IE for a long while. IE and its users suffered.



    Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?
  • Reply 8 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    REALLY? You are going to pull the fan comment out? Dude, that hardware is not the final hardware by any means. It was merely run on the Samsung(?) tablets as an early developer demo. Did you even read the Windows 8 articles or are you just trying to spread FUD? The final product will run on a low-powered ARM processor....no fan, no heat.



    Yes I hate FUD too. Talking of which, I'm wondering if between now and then MS might go back to their last prototype for ideas . You remember it, all the MS fans were so excited about it, you know the Courier? You should go back and read the posts on AI from that period. My god, it was going to be so wonderful. So building on that excitement again maybe they will have a dual screen with Mobile Windows on one and traditional Windows on the other and a fan you can select the direction, maybe even one for your face! Flash on one not on the other. Intel in one ARM in the other. They could market it as "The product for those who can't make up their minds from the company that can't either!"
  • Reply 9 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post


    When Microsoft's Internet Explorer was the overwhelming market leader, Microsoft sat on its laurels and didn't improve IE for a long while. IE and its users suffered.



    Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?



    Heard of iOS 5? The great thing about Apple is they can take their custom built hardware and unleash a new powers and abilities just from software. Kind of the total reverse of Microsoft now i think about it.
  • Reply 10 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post


    When Microsoft's Internet Explorer was the overwhelming market leader, Microsoft sat on its laurels and didn't improve IE for a long while. IE and its users suffered.



    Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?



    Apple is sticking to a yearly release cycle. I don't understand how that can be considered atropyhing.



    OTOH, if they had released an iPad3 just months after the iPad2, especially after declaring 2011 the year of the iPad2, then that would have pissed a lot of people off.
  • Reply 11 of 95
    I could never understand why people would think Apple would change their product release plans to an earlier schedule, especially considering the total lack of competition.



    Rushing a product out the door just to get one out there has not been a good strategy for other companies.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    Apple is sticking to a yearly release cycle. I don't understand how that can be considered atropyhing.



    OTOH, if they had released an iPad3 just months after the iPad2, especially after declaring 2011 the year of the iPad2, then that would have pissed a lot of people off.



    There was never any real reason to believe that Apple was going to release iPad 3 this year. It amazes me how so many rumors were circulating on such a silly idea.
  • Reply 13 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post


    Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?



    did apple let the iPod "atrophy" all the years it faced no competition, or did they constantly deliver new form factors and features every single year? What a moronic question.
  • Reply 14 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    REALLY? You are going to pull the fan comment out? Dude, that hardware is not the final hardware by any means. It was merely run on the Samsung(?) tablets as an early developer demo. Did you even read the Windows 8 articles or are you just trying to spread FUD? The final product will run on a low-powered ARM processor....no fan, no heat.



    Dude, you have to also realize that Arm Processors don't run native Windows apps. All their legacy apps are and will be history. You will be forced to buy new apps if the hardware is Arm.



    Intel is struggling also ... they make x86 processor for power and energy hungry Microsoft software (available now). Atom doesn't seem to have the horsepower Arm does. We'll have to wait and see. The focus on mobile is long battery life. Intel needs to redesign for mobile if it wants a future in mobile.
  • Reply 15 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post


    When Microsoft's Internet Explorer was the overwhelming market leader, Microsoft sat on its laurels and didn't improve IE for a long while. IE and its users suffered.



    Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?



    Nevermind... pipped by digitalclips and I didn't see it before... need more sleep.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post


    Dude, you have to also realize that Arm Processors don't run native Windows apps. All their legacy apps are and will be history. You will be forced to buy new apps if the hardware is Arm.



    Intel is struggling also ... they make x86 processor for power and energy hungry Microsoft software (available now). Atom doesn't seem to have the horsepower Arm does. We'll have to wait and see. The focus on mobile is long battery life. Intel needs to redesign for mobile if it wants a future in mobile.



    Microsoft has already said Windows 8 tablets will be Arm and that current software will not run on Windows 8 tablets..
  • Reply 17 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post


    When Microsoft's Internet Explorer was the overwhelming market leader, Microsoft sat on its laurels and didn't improve IE for a long while. IE and its users suffered.



    Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?



    Releasing a new version of iPad every year is a sign of atrophy?
  • Reply 18 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    I wonder if Amazon will redo the ad, lying in the sun reading an old Kindle next to someone trying to read a new Kindle tablety, Android thing?
  • Reply 19 of 95
    Yeah, they're in no rush to release the iPad 3. That means they'll release the iPad 2S sometime this fall. Maybe even at the same time as the iPhone 4S! I'm so excited!



    Now just wait until someone takes the bait?
  • Reply 20 of 95
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    ...and this is why competition is so important. Without it, any company would do what Apple's doing: the bare minimum to keep raking it in.
Sign In or Register to comment.