MacBook Pro Vs MacBook Air

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was looking at getting the 13 Inch Mac Book Pro with the I5 and 4gig of ram. Would the new entry level 13 inch MacBook Pro be powerfull enough for basic home video editing? Eventually if I really get going on the video editing front, I might consider moving to Final Cut X. This would be my entry into the Mac world, and before I shell out the money, I want to ensure that this model would be sufficient.

I really like the MacBook Air, but I have my doubt that the Air would work for Video editing even though I would prefer the lighter and more updated model.

I guess my real question is if later I decide to move to Final Cut X, would the integrated Graphics be good enough to run Final Cut X. I know the specs for Final Cut X indicate that the integrated Graphics on the 13 Inch would be the minimum, but in actuality would it work. We all know what Minimum requirements mean.

Not being a professional Editor, just wanting to edit some home video for Youtube, I am trying to find the best configuration for the least amount of money.

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeBCanon View Post

I know the specs for Final Cut X indicate that the integrated Graphics on the 13 Inch would be the minimum, but in actuality would it work. We all know what Minimum requirements mean.

It's actually a very strange listing because they state that an OpenCL-capable GPU is a requirement and the Intel HD3000 lacks OpenCL support entirely. OpenCL code runs on the CPU anyway but why even bother putting a requirement for an OpenCL GPU if they even make a single exception? It would suggest there's no such requirement at all.

Anyway, putting Apple's artificial requirements coercing you into buying a new machine aside, the MBA will edit movies just fine. People often mistakingly think that video editing is a CPU/GPU intensive task. It's only the encoding and transcoding that are intensive and the titles/effects to some extent and you have to wait on those processes no matter what machine you have.

Once you are in an editing codec like ProRes, you can edit fine on even a low-end Powerbook - you just need fast enough storage. You also need lots of storage. Even a home movie will be between 10-30GB in an edit format so 128GB SSD likely won't be enough although it depends on how you edit.

This actually creates a slight problem as you only get USB 2 ports, which aren't very suitable for streaming video and a Thunderbolt port, which is awesome but doesn't really have reasonably priced options. Lacie are bringing a 1TB drive out (supposedly this Summer, which gives them about 6 days to start shipping it) but they currently price a 1TB drive at $300.

If you only plan to have one project or two active on your main storage, you can just copy footage back and forth from a USB drive but FCPX might become a bit of a nuisance having to try and reconnect your files every time. A better idea would probably be to get a docking solution like this one:

http://www.macsessed.com/posts/belki...-express-dock/

Then you get FW800 and ethernet along with 3 extra USB 2 ports. It's a shame they don't have USB 3 or eSATA but you can still get a cheaper FW800 external drive that will do the job.

The MBP gives you the option of having large internal storage but the SSD in the MBA is very nice to have - just make sure to think about your storage requirements and cost it up before making a purchase.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeBCanon View Post

I was looking at getting the 13 Inch Mac Book Pro with the I5 and 4gig of ram. Would the new entry level 13 inch MacBook Pro be powerfull enough for basic home video editing? Eventually if I really get going on the video editing front, I might consider moving to Final Cut X. This would be my entry into the Mac world, and before I shell out the money, I want to ensure that this model would be sufficient.

I really like the MacBook Air, but I have my doubt that the Air would work for Video editing even though I would prefer the lighter and more updated model.

I guess my real question is if later I decide to move to Final Cut X, would the integrated Graphics be good enough to run Final Cut X. I know the specs for Final Cut X indicate that the integrated Graphics on the 13 Inch would be the minimum, but in actuality would it work. We all know what Minimum requirements mean.

Not being a professional Editor, just wanting to edit some home video for Youtube, I am trying to find the best configuration for the least amount of money.

Mike

Well, the MBP will do what you want, editing-wise, but I think you need to look at your everyday situation: will you be lugging it around a lot? Then I would go for the MBA. It can also do your editing, it'll simply take longer. So let it run overnight on those few occasions that you need it to.

OTOH... how about a combo? A powerful, large-screen iMac with lots of storage for your heavy duty general computing, editing, and gaming, and a lightweight, 10-hour battery, ultra-mobile iPad for when you're on the road. With the proper, free software you can use that iPad to remotely operate your big, powerful iMac at home. Thus you have all the power and storage of your iMac available to you to work with wherever you are.

A combo like that would make you super mobile and can comfortably deal with any non-pro video editing requirements. And anything else you might want to throw at it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yep that mac book will do it mate. Use iMove its free and can easily do the job
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Cute trick, Marv...

So say goodbye to Chuck, and welcome to... well, you won't know, will you?

Later!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualizeFree View Post

Yep that mac book will do it mate.

Which one, mate...?