Radeon 7000 and my B&W

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Built for Mac OS X my %#$!

I went and bought one of the new Radeon 7000's to replace my lagging Rage 128 that came with my machine.

I followed the laid out instructions and procedures for the card and voila! It doesn't work! What it does do is disable my OpenGL when I try to open a game such as Quake 3 or Giants. I get this nice little error message:

<game name> Error

Could not initiate OpenGL

The odd thing? If I logout, log back in, I can open a game once, then the same error occurs.

I have been on the phone with ATI ever since and their tech support is baffled and sit with me on the phone humming and hawing, suggesting things to try for a OS 9 system even though I have told them again and again I'm running only OS X.

*deep breath* So, I now turn to the apple geniuses of the web. Help me where ATI can't.

I have tried everything from re-installing the software (updated drivers from ATI's site) and manually installing and re-installing the drivers, still nothing. Any ideas would be great!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    What version of Mac OS X are you using?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dude you should have paid a few bucks more for a real radeon for gaming IMHO. radeons have 3 rendering pipelines and 7000's have 1. since it doesnt work send it back. does it work O.K. in 9?