Mac Classic II Info Needed!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My dad's office was getting rid of all of their old mac classics and mac classic iis, and so i ended up with some. (or i'm going to be ending up with some, to be more precise) and was wondering if anyone can give me some info on them....

1) are they easy to expand? add more ram, new hd? i don't really care about keeping the insides authentic to the model, as long as the case is fine.

2) can you still buy ram for them?

3) they have os7, will quicktime run on os7 an older version of qt, maybe?

4) 16mhz processor and bus... will i have problems trying to loop qt movies on this?

5) is there an easy way to transfer files from a beige g3 tower to a mac classic? (not using floppies, preferably)

any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Mac Classic IIs have Black and White screens, so QuickTime movies aren't going to be pretty.

The Classic II has serial ports so you can use standard AppleTalk / phone net cable to copy files over (it's not the fastest thing in the world, but it works).

They are also NOT easy machines to crack. You need a special type of screwdriver / mac cracker kit to get them open. I have a few, and they are not easy to 'operate' on. Plus, you have to be very careful of the built in monitors. They store charges for a VERY long time. If I were you, I wouldn't open them up unless you really know what you are doing.

On the subject of screens, I believe the resolution is maximum 512x378. I may be wrong, but I think this is right.

I've managed to get 7.6.1 on to one of these machines. I also managed to install Mac OS 8.1 (with a LOT of EFFORT), but the machine will not boot to it.

What are you trying to do with these machines? If it's anything too intense, don't expect them to be 'miracle machines'.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Mac Classic IIs have Black and White screens, so QuickTime movies aren't going to be pretty.

The Classic II has serial ports so you can use standard AppleTalk / phone net cable to copy files over (it's not the fastest thing in the world, but it works).

They are also NOT easy machines to crack. You need a special type of screwdriver / mac cracker kit to get them open. I have a few, and they are not easy to 'operate' on. Plus, you have to be very careful of the built in monitors. They store charges for a VERY long time. If I were you, I wouldn't open them up unless you really know what you are doing.

On the subject of screens, I believe the resolution is maximum 512x378. I may be wrong, but I think this is right.

I've managed to get 7.6.1 on to one of these machines. I also managed to install Mac OS 8.1 (with a LOT of EFFORT), but the machine will not boot to it.

What are you trying to do with these machines? If it's anything too intense, don't expect them to be 'miracle machines'.</strong><hr></blockquote>

when you say b+w do you mean black and white, and that's it, or go you mean 256 grays?

i had thought about the monitor thing, and am kind of concerned about that. the tools thing shouldn't be a problem.

i don't really want it to do anything except to loop qt movies, and that's it, if it can do that without problems, both it and i should live happily together.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    see: <a href="http://www.apple-history.com/classic.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple-history.com/classic.html</a>;

and: <a href="http://www.apple-history.com/classicII.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple-history.com/classicII.html</a>;

regarding the Classic II:

Monitor: 1 bit (Black & White) 512x342

Max System Software: 7.6.1

maximum RAM: 10MB
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I do think they can take more than 10 MB of RAM. In fact, one of my Classic IIs might have more than 10 MB. I'll check when I get home later.