Wallstreet PowerBook HD Upgrade problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can anyone help me will this small annoyance?

I'm replacing the Hard Drive in my Wallstreet 292Mhz again but have encountered a problem. The original 8Gb drive was replaced over a year ago with a 20Gb drive (an IBM DJSA-220). That was all fine, until the 20Gb eventually filled up and the drive became quite noisy.

I've acquired a 32Gb replacement (an IBM DJSA-232), which formatted, partitioned and installed without problem. But, after being shut down over night the PowerBook will not boot up. In fact, I'm experiencing something I've never seen before. When I press the power button I get a "click...click...click...click..." coming from the speakers and the screen flashes on or off, but with no backlight (if you understand what I mean by that), but nothing more.

I swap back to the old 20Gb drive and everything is fine with the PowerBook. I've been through the whole thing twice now with the same result. I've done everything I should have with this machine specifically and OS X ... updated disk drivers, installed OS X on the first partition no bigger than 8Gb, both OS 9 and X are updated to 9.2.2 and 10.1.2 and the machine had no trouble booting after an update restart, only after shutting down for the night! The PowerBook also won't start from a CD when in this state so I'd say that some hardware test is failing straight off. Norton Utilities has passed the drive under testing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks,

Simon.