Twitter developer events suggest iOS 5 release by Oct. 10

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Twitter has scheduled a pair of "Developer Teatimes" for Oct. 10 and Oct. 12 with a "heavy focus" on the service's tight integration with iOS 5, possibly providing further evidence that the forthcoming update to Apple's mobile operating system will arrive in two weeks.

Twitter announced the teatimes, the first to be held outside of San Francisco by the company, on Friday. The developer events will take place in London on Oct. 10 and New York City on Oct. 12, with space limited to just 150 attendees per city, as noted by Matthew Panzarino of The Next Web.

"There?s a lot going on in the ecosystem and we?d like to take this chance to share the highlights with you ? including the latest developments with the platform, areas of opportunity that we?re seeing, and a heavy focus on the iOS 5 Twitter integration for developers," said Twitter's Jason Costa.

Given that iOS 5 is currently still in a beta development phase, it has been suggested that the timing of the events is meant to closely coincide with the public release of the OS.

Adding to the speculation is the fact that other evidence has pointed to a similar timeframe for the release. AppleInsider reported last week that the AppleCare division at Apple had been notified to prepare for an influx of iOS-related inquiries on Monday, Oct. 10.

AppleInsider was also first to report that Apple plans to release the Golden Master build of iOS 5 between Sept. 23 and Sept. 30. As the final version of the software, the GM would be sent to assemblers to be loaded onto the iPhone 5 in preparation for an expected mid-October launch.

According to one recent report, the Cupertino, Calif., company will hold a media event on Tuesday, Oct. 4 to take the wraps off the much-anticipated iPhone 5.

Apple announced in June that it had partnered up with Twitter to add deep integration of the social networking service to iOS 5. Rumors of the close partnership had surfaced prior to the unveiling.

As a result of the cooperation, the Twitter app has gained greater prominence in Apple's own promotional materials for iOS 5. For instance, in one image (pictured below), Twitter is the only third-party application featured alongside Apple's own apps, including Notification Center, Message, iBooks and Camera.

Rival social network Facebook, on the other hand, has worked less closely with Apple in recent years. Though the company provided one and iPhone application for the launch of the App Store, it has dragged its feet in releasing a native iPad app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I would roll out OS X 10.7.2 before iOS 5. There are surely fewer Mac users than iOS users but it will still be a good stress test for iCloud.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    now that SJ is not around, i predict facebook integration is coming in a point update
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

now that SJ is not around, i predict facebook integration is coming in a point update

Steve Jobs is not completely gone in Apple. In case you missed it, he appointed himself as an apple employee, director and chairman of the board. He cared about Apple than anyone else.

Btw, Apple is not the one restraining to integrate facebook. Steve Jobs said in AllthingsD interview that Facebook pushes "onerous terms that we could not agree to". Whatever that is, I think it's something about facebook desires to bring music in facebook. If you missed F8 event yesterday, they announce things like spotify, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Twitter has scheduled a pair of "Developer Teatimes" for Oct. 10 and Oct. 12 with a "heavy focus" on the service's tight integration with iOS 5.

Tight Twitter integration would be a killer feature in a killer app, IMHO, soon propelling the platform to a billion iOS users.

Wow.

Good job, Apple.

KOB
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Steve Jobs is not completely gone in Apple. In case you missed it, he appointed himself as an apple employee, director and chairman of the board. He cared about Apple than anyone else.

Btw, Apple is not the one restraining to integrate facebook. Steve Jobs said in AllthingsD interview that Facebook pushes "onerous terms that we could not agree to". Whatever that is, I think it's something about facebook desires to bring music in facebook. If you missed F8 event yesterday, they announce things like spotify, etc.

It is not music. It is most likely Facebook desire to get access to users data. By the way, iOS includes new APIs that will allow Twitter like integration for other services. It is just that Apple is only giving access to twitter now.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Certainly hope not. And that has absolutely nothing to do with it in addition to him not even being "gone".
  • Reply 7 of 15
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

When tim cook had his first stint as CEO apple became a bit more open. and when SJ came he raised prices right away and started locking things down again

expect a more open apple now
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I sure hope there is an easy way to disable whatever twitter integration is found in iOS5. That and it doesn't continually prompt me to create a twitter account.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

I sure hope there is an easy way to disable whatever twitter integration is found in iOS5. That and it doesn't continually prompt me to create a twitter account.

Uh, yeah. Just don't use it…

Oh, right, not out yet. Uh, if you guys don't want that image up there, I can take it down.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple needs to be the one to buy Twitter.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Pardon me for my ignorance, how exactly is the twitter integration on iOS, is it anything like the Facebook integration on Windows phone 7. I ask because on my current phone I have really good integration from twitter and Facebook on an android. It allows me to share stuff from any app with the share API in it. Will it be anything like that or more integrated.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    "Developer Teatimes" is a most unfortunate name. Gives a whole new meaning to "Do you want milk with that?"
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

When tim cook had his first stint as CEO apple became a bit more open. and when SJ came he raised prices right away and started locking things down again

expect a more open apple now

What prices were raised?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would roll out OS X 10.7.2 before iOS 5. There are surely fewer Mac users than iOS users but it will still be a good stress test for iCloud.

Fewer Mac users but more contents. Interesting which user base is a bigger stress test. Of course, there is significant overlap.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

You insult every executive and engineering director at Apple thinking they give two craps about Facebook and it's Steve Jobs holding it back.