Installing OpenStep in VPC 5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Downloaded the boot and driver .floppyimages from the Apple site. Created them as per the instructions on that site.

From the VPC instructions in the Help section, I created a new virtual machine, checking the alternate CD-ROM option. New diskimage as per the instructions (DOS). Booted the machine, with the boot floppy selected. It loads fine. Selected the language etc, and didn't bother with any of the advanced booting options (this might be what needs to be altered)

At the driver disk stage, i selected the "Primary/Secondary (Dual) EIDE/ATAPI Device Controller (4.01)", again, as per the instructions.

Carries on booting, and it eventually comes up with the error as above:

"vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root".

I think it has something to do with either the CD image, or the diskimage i created in VPC.

Any directions about where to go on the net to get this sorted would be very appreciated.

TIA

AJ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    The problem I've had with Intel emulators is that they don't support all OS's. I have VPC 4.x and I can get the standard OS's(windows, dos, linux) to boot but I've been unable to get others(beos, freedos, freebsd) to boot. At least VPC will allow you to boot a non-ms os such as linux but I would like to see more support for other OS's such as OS2.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    AJ, Where on Apple's website did you find the images? I'd quite like to try setting up OpenStep on my new iMac when it arrives.

Cheers,

Jamie

PS How's Edinburgh these days? I haven't been up in ages.