Will next Powerbooks have firewire2 (gigawire or whatever the hell it is)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just want to know what people think.

Judging by comments by Apple that we won't see any new comps at MWTK, it seems WWDC, MWNY or some event inbetween is when we'll see them. Do you think apple will have it's next generation of firewire then, and will the powerbooks get it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    I dont know, but my gut says maybe.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I'd have to go with maybe too. Then again maybe not.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd be wrong if I wouldn't deny that it's not out of the question.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    I think FireWire 2 will debut on the next gen PowerMac motherboard, but the next gen PowerBook COULD debut alongside the PowerMac, so who knows.

I still think we'll see new PowerBooks in May though.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I see everyone is as conflicted as I am.

I guess it all comes down to whether powerbooks and powermacs get debuted side by side or not.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by Falcon:

<strong>I dont know, but my gut says maybe.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My new sig

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 14
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    MWNY. maybe.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    While F2 would be nice... HIGHER SCREEN RESOLUTION!!!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    They're not going to put it in PowerBooks before they put it in Power Macs. If they're both released simultaneously, and the Power Macs have GigaWire, maybe the PowerBooks will too...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Trust me on this...the PowerBook won't have GW/FW2 until the PowerMacs do...so MWTK is out of the question, too soon for a PowerMac update.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    with internal harddisk rates of about 16MB/sec, what real use would FW2 be?

Also, there are no FW2 products on the market, like camcorders, how would a FW2 laptop be in any way useful? Seems like a buzzword to me.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>with internal harddisk rates of about 16MB/sec, what real use would FW2 be?

Also, there are no FW2 products on the market, like camcorders, how would a FW2 laptop be in any way useful? Seems like a buzzword to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

While there aren't now, I'm sure they will be. It would be valuable because it would keep the machines functional longer.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Also, there are no FW2 products on the market, like camcorders, how would a FW2 laptop be in any way useful? Seems like a buzzword to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let me guess, you said the same of the iMac and USB, right? If you build it, they will come.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    On a Powermac, sure, but what use would FW2 be on a laptop? The harddisk/bus/processor are more of a bottleneck than Firewire is at 400mb/sec. that's 50 MB/sec. No Laptop in the world has even half that for Harddisk transfer rates.