Known issues remain with Apple's ninth beta of iTunes 10.5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

If yr itunes installation runs like treacle, there's something wrong with it.

290 gig library here, launches in less than one bounce, no performance issues at all.

Maybe look to your own machine before assuming the software is at fault?

Pishh. Amateur. 4 terabytes and counting.

In all seriousness though it would be nice if iTunes was more modular. I sometimes do get annoyed having to sit through iTunes start up, alerts, downloads resuming, podcast updates etc before I can do whatever it was I wanted to do to my iPhone. It's a very lovely Window's like experience.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Not with "known issues" it won't. Apple is nothing like Google, who releases buggy software.

Safari for Windows says differ...

Apple's probably more notorious for buggy hardware whenever they release major hardware revisions. I think they have gotten better with that in the past couple years though.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    It wouldn't surprise me if betas of iTunes Match included deficiencies intentionally, in order to debug and observe the behavior of worst-case situations.

Beta software is typically non-optimized and contains test code that isn't included in a final release.

Perhaps developers will see another beta at the October 4th presentation. I can well imagine at some point it becomes impossible to release a beta without divulging hitherto secrets.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that:

-- we'll se an iPhone, iOS and iCloud announcement on Oct 4

-- the announcement will include previously unannounced iOS features

-- availability will be Nov 4

-- pre-orders will be accepted immediately

-- a new iOS GM Beta 1 SDK (and iCloud if needed) will be available to developers immediately

Makes no sense to stretch out availability by a month. That will quash sales. Heck, two weeks is already a stretch.

If they want to chat up new iOS features at WWDC, that's one thing. Talking about an actual physical product is something else.

Apple gains little by making an official announcement of a physical, revenue-generating product long before the actual ship date.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Not with "known issues" it won't. Apple is nothing like Google, who releases buggy software.

Apple has definitely had it's share of growing pains related to software. A prime example is iOS 2.0. That turned out to be very buggy and took several updates to fix. Many users were not at all happy.

Apple has gotten much better since then, but the Summer of 2008 was a really hard time for them. Apple combined the rollouts of iPhone 3G, MobileMe, iOS 2.0, the App store, and were about to rollout SnowLeopard, and all if these things spread their resources very thin. MobileMe went Badly enough that Steve has publicly admitted problems. He said it in a lighthearted joking way, but he never would have admitted a problem if it weren't huge and thoroughly pissed him off. I think Apple learned a great deal from those harder times, and hopefully the roll-out of iCloud and the new iPhone will benefit greatly from that experience.

Let's hope those days are done with and way behind us.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    This makes me wonder if the iOS GM will be released next Tuesday. It requires 10.5 and if they are still working on things, it most likely won't be ready.

iOS may be GM, but iTunes won't be (possibly).
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

In all seriousness though it would be nice if iTunes was more modular. I sometimes do get annoyed having to sit through iTunes start up, alerts, downloads resuming, podcast updates etc before I can do whatever it was I wanted to do to my iPhone. It's a very lovely Window's like experience.

That's exactly the problem, when the 64 bit update shipped it definitely got a bit less "slow" but it still has tons of beach balls where doing one thing totally locks up the app. Drag in a bunch of MP3s and you can be stuck sitting there quite a while waiting for it to be done (especially with checking for cover art, gapless playback...). There's no excuse for an app like that not to be multithreaded and be able to let the user keep doing things while doing something else in the background.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Mirroring on ipad2 here - zero latency, no issue at all...

not possilble.

im pure apple in my test enviroment.

Apple TV 2, Air Port Express, iPad2.....

not calling you a liar, but saying zero latetncy is not 100% honest.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

How about the known issue that it runs like treacle. iTunes needs a major overhaul, just too slow with large libraries.

My iTunes has 13,839 items. I realize that this may not be everyone's version of a "large library" but I would hazard a guess that it is "above average size" and I can honestly say that iTunes runs just fine on my iMac. Perhaps the problem you're having is a hardware problem, not a software one?
  • Reply 30 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

not possilble.

I'm sure he doesn't mean that to be taken literally. I've yet to notice any lag or discernible latency.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

not possilble.

Did you not know that when you use purely Apple equipment, you receive a set bonus of electron teleportation to reduce latency to near zero.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

If yr itunes installation runs like treacle, there's something wrong with it.

290 gig library here, launches in less than one bounce, no performance issues at all.

Maybe look to your own machine before assuming the software is at fault?

I agree, I came to the Mac at iTunes 7 and each update gets better and better, love it.

However iPhoto '11 v9.1.5 is still very slow and temperamental to say the least.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:

-- a new iOS GM Beta 1 SDK (and iCloud if needed) will be available to developers immediately

GM's are not Betas - you may release a second GM (rare) but you typically release just one GM which becomes the release version.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

So you are betting on a lengthy "delay" between announcement and launch? In the past it has always been about 10 days between (not counting the original iPhone of course). It should be launched on Oct 14th if they are on their usual schedule.

Yeah!

I think that the hardware is ready, but I think the developers will need a little lead time to incorporate rumored new features (Voice Assistant), etc.

We're 4 days away from the announce and we don't have a GM Beta iOS 5 for the developers. We haven't had a beta upgrade for over 4 weeks -- that tells me that they are holding off the next developer iOS beta because of unannounced capabilities.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple staggered the availability of some iCloud features, like iTunes Match, to maintain a balanced load on their servers,
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

GM's are not Betas - you may release a second GM (rare) but you typically release just one GM which becomes the release version.

A GM is a developer build and Apple's betas are given to developers so interchanging beta and developer build may not be technically accurate in regards to a GM I don't think it's an serious foe paw.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A GM is a developer build and Apple's betas are given to developers so interchanging beta and developer build may not be technically accurate in regards to a GM I don't think it's an serious foe paw.

Ahh.... the old Faux Pas bit..

Have you heard the one about the girl who comes home from school and

says:

"Daddy, what's a faux pas? They explained it in school today, but I

really don't understand!"

"Well, Honey, maybe it would be easier if I show you an example."

"Do you remember a few weeks ago, the Reverend came to the house?"

"Yes, Daddy, is that a faux pas?"

"No Honey! But, do you remember when we we walking in the garden, the

Reverend pricked a finger on a rose bush?"

"Yes, Daddy, is that a faux pas?"

"No Honey! But do you remember when the Reverend came to the house

last Thursday, for Thanksgiving dinner?".....

..."Yes, Daddy, is that a faux pas?"

"No, Honey! But, do you remember when we were sitting down to dinner,

and the Reverend was about to say Grace".

"You said:" "Reverend, How's your prick?"

"I said: Jeeeesus Christ!'

"And your Mother dropped the turkey"...

..... "that's three of 'em"

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Reply 37 of 60
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It is a build - it's intend to be a final build and not a beta which may see multiple other builds. Ans all companies release their GM to developers (not just Apple) - they need to test them with things. The terms are not to be used interchangeably. They represent opposite ends of a scale.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

Yeah!

I think that the hardware is ready, but I think the developers will need a little lead time to incorporate rumored new features (Voice Assistant), etc.

We're 4 days away from the announce and we don't have a GM Beta iOS 5 for the developers. We haven't had a beta upgrade for over 4 weeks -- that tells me that they are holding off the next developer iOS beta because of unannounced capabilities.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple staggered the availability of some iCloud features, like iTunes Match, to maintain a balanced load on their servers,

You could be right, as I have no knowledge how far along Apple is with iOS. However, if iOS is ready in time for Tuesday, then I don't see why they can't let developers get caught up on their own time. As long as the OS is complete and works with Apple's apps well, then I don't mind if third party apps don't work with assistant right at launch. Some developers probably won't ever add this functionality. So I don't think Apple needs to wait.

Apple should release the iPhone and iOS when they are ready.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

You could be right, as I have no knowledge how far along Apple is with iOS. However, if iOS is ready in time for Tuesday, then I don't see why they can't let developers get caught up on their own time. As long as the OS is complete and works with Apple's apps well, then I don't mind if third party apps don't work with assistant right at launch. Some developers probably won't ever add this functionality. So I don't think Apple needs to wait.

Apple should release the iPhone and iOS when they are ready.

Yeah, I could be wrong too!

I just have this feeling that there is more to iOS 5 than has been revealed to the developers -- and they, Apple and the customer could benefit from additional testing.

But, hey -- they could do a 10-day announce-ship delay and satisfy most situations. If the new iPhones need an iOS upgrade out of the box -- it wouldn't be the first time.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

It is a build - it's intend to be a final build and not a beta which may see multiple other builds. Ans all companies release their GM to developers (not just Apple) - they need to test them with things. The terms are not to be used interchangeably. They represent opposite ends of a scale.

1) If this were a textbook or technical article on the subject, and not an internet forum, then I'd agree with your pedantry. It's not, it doesn't alter your understanding of his post… so I don't.

2) Not all companies release their code to 3rd-party developers to test. Will Amazon for the Kindle Fire? I don't think so.

3) Even though many do release their RTM to developers I don't know of any outside of Apple that internally call them Golden Master, a coinage from Gold Master. If we're going to be overly strict shouldn't we stop calling any and all RTMs GM?