firewire harddrive problem

davdav
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
so i've successfully placed my older harddrive in a firewire enclosure, but i'm facing odd problems mounting the drive. if turned on before booting up, the drive appears on the desktop (like it should), but if i "eject" it, and turn it off - when i turn it back on it won't remount. logging out/in won't remount it, even restarting won't remount the drive. i have to shut down my mac, turn the firewire drive on, then boot up every time i want access to this drive. this would be fine for a scsi drive, but i was expecting better from firewire - any suggestions as to what could be a problem? i would think the drive should be mounted automatically anytime i turn it on.

using system 10.1.2 on a cube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    1.) Have you tried doing the same thing in OS 9? Does it act the same way because it could be an OS X problem. I have had problems with device recognition in OSX but haven;t tried a firewire drive because I don't have one

2.) Have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    davdav Posts: 115member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>1.) Have you tried doing the same thing in OS 9? Does it act the same way because it could be an OS X problem. I have had problems with device recognition in OSX but haven;t tried a firewire drive because I don't have one

2.) Have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the response...

OS 9 does mount and recognize the drive, but no, I haven't tried turning it off and on in OS 9 - I'll test that tonight.

I have tried unplugging and replugging the drive in to no success (OS X). Perhaps this is a OS X issue?

• Reply 3 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by dav:

<strong>

Thanks for the response...

OS 9 does mount and recognize the drive, but no, I haven't tried turning it off and on in OS 9 - I'll test that tonight.

I have tried unplugging and replugging the drive in to no success (OS X). Perhaps this is a OS X issue?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

unfortunately it seems that its an OS X problem. Try in OS 9 and then post again and then maybe we can be sure of it
  • Reply 4 of 4
    davdav Posts: 115member
    well, same thing happens under OS 9. after start up, at any point if i turn the drive on, it's recognized and appears on the desktop. if i then unmount and turn the drive off, i must shut down the computer and start up again in order for the drive to be recognized again.

this sucks.