iWork for PC, or iCloud enabled Office?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Which will it be?

iCloud documents only work with iCloud enabled apps. But right there on Apple's page it says this:

Quote:

Documents in the Cloud. And on your Mac or PC.

iCloud makes it easy to move Pages, Keynote, and Numbers documents between your computer and your iOS devices. Just sign in to icloud.com/iwork in any modern web browser, and all your iWork for iOS documents will be there ? complete with your most recent edits. Click a document to download it in iWork ?09, Microsoft Office, or PDF format. You can also drag and drop any iWork ?09 or Microsoft Office document from your computer into one of the the iWork apps on icloud.com, and it automatically appears on all your iOS devices, ready for you to review, edit, or present.

So will Office for Windows be getting iCloud integration? Or is there a possibility that iWork will be released for Windows?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So will Office for Windows be getting iCloud integration? Or is there a possibility that iWork will be released for Windows?

Office for iCloud is up to MS. IIRC there are APIs that developers use to open up this functionality. I wouldn't hold my breath though, MS are slow to update office and only make it 'good enough' IMO and not as good as it could be.

As for iWork, I have no idea if Apple will port a Windows version. Seems like a good idea to me if Apple want iCloud to gain traction but I doubt that iWork would get much support from Windows users. Who knows?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Neither.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

What you posted does not imply "iCloud" integration with Office:win or any other application. All that is necessary is for applications to be able to access network volumes. MobileMe is currently available to Windows users. This implies that iCloud will also be available to Windows users. As for iWork for Windows, you're kidding--right?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

What you posted does not imply "iCloud" integration with Office:win or any other application. All that is necessary is for applications to be able to access network volumes. MobileMe is currently available to Windows users. This implies that iCloud will also be available to Windows users. As for iWork for Windows, you're kidding--right?

You don't get it. Unlike Mobile Me, there will NOT be web browser access to iCloud documents, as far as I understand, nor will it show up as a network drive. There's no, zero, nada, arbitrary file hosting. You will only be able to access iCloud documents through an iCloud enabled application, directly.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

You don't get it. Unlike Mobile Me, there will NOT be web browser access to iCloud documents, as far as I understand, nor will it show up as a network drive. There's no, zero, nada, arbitrary file hosting. You will only be able to access iCloud documents through an iCloud enabled application, directly.

Where in my post did I say anything about a browser?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

You will only be able to access iCloud documents through an iCloud enabled application, directly.

Have you seen the iCloud interface yet? I don't have the iOS iWork beta applications, so I can't yet see the document part, but you DO have access to the documents from the iCloud website.

Now, whether they're editable from there is left to be seen, but that's what iWork.com beta is for, right?

Hopefully, they'll get that done (and well) and integrate it with the iCloud stuff proper. That way we can just do everything in one place and our edits are immediately pushed out to our devices.

Ooh! Wouldn't THAT be great?! You could edit your iWork documents from a PC and have them sitting on your Mac when you get home!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Have you seen the iCloud interface yet? I don't have the iOS iWork beta applications, so I can't yet see the document part, but you DO have access to the documents from the iCloud website.

Now, whether they're editable from there is left to be seen, but that's what iWork.com beta is for, right?

Hopefully, they'll get that done (and well) and integrate it with the iCloud stuff proper. That way we can just do everything in one place and our edits are immediately pushed out to our devices.

Ooh! Wouldn't THAT be great?! You could edit your iWork documents from a PC and have them sitting on your Mac when you get home!

That's exactly my point. You do have access to the iCloud documents, through an iCloud enabled app. You won't have access to iCloud documents through Windows Explorer or a web browser. So please tell me, without an iDevice, how do you get an iCloud document, such as a Microsoft Word file, onto Windows, as the Apple site implies you can?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

That's exactly my point. You do have access to the iCloud documents, through an iCloud enabled app. You won't have access to iCloud documents through Windows Explorer or a web browser. So please tell me, without an iDevice, how do you get an iCloud document, such as a Microsoft Word file, onto Windows, as the Apple site implies you can?

Wouldn't? you just go to iCloud.com, which is where I am? Does that site not work on a PC?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    In my opinion you have misled.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Wouldn't? you just go to iCloud.com, which is where I am? Does that site not work on a PC?

Well, Apple claims that iCloud.com works best with the latest versions of Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. But what do they know?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Well, Apple claims that iCloud.com works best with the latest versions of Safari, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. But what do they know?

Maybe they mean the latest version of Internet Explorer for OS X. You know, 5.2.3.

And here I am without a computer left that can run it, otherwise I'd pop it open and take a screenshot of iCloud on it.

Maybe I could find my Yikes! G4 tower somewhere and pull it back together.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Like I said, according to all indications, you won't have browser access to arbitrary files you've put on iCloud. Just like you can't open an iOS created iWork file in a non-Apple application without emailing it, you won't be able to open a photo or a MS Word file you've saved in iCloud in a non iCloud enabled application without either emailing it from your iDevice first, or using an iCloud enabled desktop app to export it.