Severe problem, 2 Macs down

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
To whomever can help me,

I have a PMac 7600 with G3 upgrade card

and a UMAX C600 with a G3 upgrade card

The 7600 was the primary work machine running OS X and rebooting into OS 9 on a seperate hard drive to do some video capture (older video card).

Two days ago I booted into 9 to do some work and when I went into the control panel Startup Disk X to switch back to OS X it didn't see the drive or the operating system. After working for awhile I gave up and figured time for a fresh install of the OS anyways. I initialized the disk for OS X, put a fresh copy of OS 9.1 on it (barebones) and then went to install OS X, since I have the older unsupported machine I used the Sonnet PCI X installer (I have a sonnet G3 upgrade).

After installing that (which puts the necessary files on the hard drive to allow you to boot from the OS X CD to install OS X) it automatically restarts to the CD. NOTHING HAPPENED@!!!!!

I've tried restarting again, shut down, unplugged, hit the reset switch on the mother board. tried booting from other older OS CD's. Nothing happens.

I hooked up the SCSI drives to my UMAX and they both mounted and appeared fine, I put them back in the 7600 and still no luck. I gave up and tried to install OS X on the other machine (which was only running 9) and the same thing happened. I've disconnected drives. Pulled all the PCI cards, pulled the upgrade cards and put the old 604 cards back in.

What am I missing???? Both computers can't have possibly died on the same day. I don't know if it's possible that I got a virus (haven't seen any outbreak listed on the net) or just something corrupt.

When I turn either of these on they give the startup chime, the hard drive spins up then just idles, the screen does not turn on at all (the monitor goes into standy mode and I've tried 3 different monitors).

I'll be gone this weekend, but any advice is appreciated. I will check on monday. Thanks for your help.

Don't make me use my PC for too long (or my 7100).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Did the power go out?

Sorry, I don't know...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Contact Sonnet?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I appreciate that some of you looked at my problem and posted to try and help.

The solution was zapping the PRAM, I thought of doing it right away but couldn't remember the damn key combination. I had to use the old 604 card to get the computer to start. Low level format & zero all data on the drives. Reinstall OS 9.1, install the Sonnet G3 upgrade software, install the Sonnet OS X enable software, install OS X and now I just have to reinstall my games and apps.

What an ordeal, but the funny thing is, once I found out what was wrong I fixed it quicker than you can install windows. (and I installed two OS's)

Thanks people.