Apple, Google gain in US smartphone share as RIM, Microsoft continue slide

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone continues to gain market share in the U.S., now representing 27.3 percent of handsets, while competitors RIM, Microsoft and Nokia continue to slip.

The latest figures from comScore show that Apple gained 0.7 points in the three-month span concluding in August. Apple's iOS and Google Android were the only two platforms in the top five that saw their share increase.

Google continues to extend its lead over rivals, bolstered by Android's availability on a number of major manufacturers with a variety of form factors. Android saw a 5.6 point increase from the May period, bringing its total domestic share up to 43.7 percent in August.

The gains of Google and Apple came mostly at the expense of Research in Motion, which saw its share slide by 5 points from May to August. RIM's BlackBerry line now represents 19.7 percent of smartphones in the U.S., good for third place.

Microsoft continues to struggle to gain traction with its Windows Phone platform, as its share dropped by 0.1 percent in the latest survey . Its share of 5.7 percent was good for fourth place, ahead of Nokia's Symbian, which slipped 0.3 points to 1.8 percent total.

ComScore's figures show Apple on the verge of cracking 10 percent of all mobile subscribers in the U.S., when traditional cell phones are included. Apple's 1.1 point gain in August brought it to 9.8 percent of all mobile subscribers in America.

Apple's total share of mobile subscribers is behind Motorola (14 percent), LG (21 percent) and Samsung (25.3 percent). But among those, only Samsung saw growth from the May period to August, rising by 0.5 points.

comScore's numbers are based on a survey of more than 30,000 U.S. mobile subscribers. The study found that 234 million Americans age 13 and older use mobile devices, and 84.5 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones during the three months ending in August, up 10 percent from the May survey.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPhone continues to gain market share in the U.S., now representing 27.3 percent of handsets,

Google continues to extend its lead over rivals, bolstered by Android's availability on a number of major manufacturers with a variety of form factors. Android saw a 5.6 point increase from the May period, bringing its total domestic share up to 43.7 percent in August.

Just wait until the iPhone 5! Then we is gonna get em back! Yeah baby!
  • Reply 2 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) One-in-ten cellphones are iPhones, despite an ARP of $650. That's pretty crazy.

2) One-in-four smartphones are iPhones. Do any other smartphone vendors sell as many of a single product in the US?
  • Reply 3 of 52
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member
    I got the same report form Comscore...

Here's my take:

1. Apple gained market share at the expense of RIM and a little bit of Microsoft- Android, though slow, still holds the top spot. But take that with a grain of salt, Microsoft hasn't released the Windows 8 OS for mobile yet... I'm not saying it'll shift everything, but critics seems pretty please at the initial release teasers.

2. Samsung, not Apple has a larger share of the Mobile Phone market - and given the lackluster iPhone 4S response and the upcoming Nexus Prime a couple days before the i4S... well it's gonna get interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Here's my take:

1. Apple gained market share at the expense of RIM and a little bit of Microsoft- Android, though slow, still holds the top spot. But take that with a grain of salt, Microsoft hasn't released the Windows 8 OS for mobile yet... I'm not saying it'll shift everything, but critics seems pretty please at the initial release teasers.

2. Samsung, not Apple has a larger share of the Mobile Phone market - and given the lackluster iPhone 4S response and the upcoming Nexus Prime a couple days before the i4S... well it's gonna get interesting.

So, how much money is Samsung making from this? Not being sarcastic or argumentative, I'd like to know.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Here's my take:

Samsung sells a wide array of phones, from smartphones to crappy cheap, free even without contract, dumbphones. The iPhone 4 is the best selling model of phone. Unless too many people listen to the spec-obsessed Android fans (no, not all Android fans, just the vocal Apple-hating ones), the iPhone 4S is likely to become the new best selling phone. LTE just isn't widespread enough yet to matter, if any normal person knows what LTE is anyway.

The 4S will be as popular as the 4 for the same reasons, plus it'll have the best camera on the market, and Siri.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The headline Oliver didn't write, but is supported by the chart he included:

Android gets eight times more customers than Apple from RIMM's falling marketshare

So what?
  • Reply 8 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Microsoft and RIM had literally decades in the mobile device market before anyone else (except maybe Palm) to get that head start, and they fall flat on the face. What a testament to the ineptness of management.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

The headline Oliver didn't write, but is supported by the chart he included:

Android gets eight times more customers than Apple from RIMM's falling marketshare

There's no denying the discrepancy between the Android and iPhone growth. But your conclusion is presumptuous and in fact mathematically impossible. I think it's either an over-interpretation or misinterpretation of the % change column.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Microsoft and RIM had literally decades in the mobile device market before anyone else (except maybe Palm) to get that head start, and they fall flat on the face. What a testament to the ineptness of management.

Apple had a head start in the GUI-based desktop industry and fell on their face. Is that a testament to their ineptness too?

Build a company the size of RIM and then you qualify to make such a dismissive criticism.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Apple snuck up on them and ambushed them. MS and RIM were sitting back milking their cows. When Bam! out of nowhere they got blindsided. Since neither of those companies are very nimble they couldn't react quickly enough and are still stuck in the mud.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Here's my take:

Slow? Android's increase in market share was 800% more than Apple/iOS.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Slow? Android's increase in market share was 800% more than Apple/iOS.

You've got to give credit where credit is due. Android really executed well. They were able to copy the iPhone very quickly. I still think they are kind of the bottom of the ecosystem though sort of like cockroaches. Very successful but rather disgusting opportunists.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) One-in-ten cellphones are iPhones, despite an ARP of $650. That's pretty crazy.

1) One-in-four smartphones are iPhones. Do any other smartphone vendors sell as many of a single product in the US?

The iPhone will continue to be the biggest selling phone in the world!
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You've got to give credit where credit is due. Android really executed well. They were able to copy the iPhone very quickly. I still think they are kind of the bottom of the ecosystem though sort of like cockroaches. Very successful but rather disgusting opportunists.

Business is business.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Here's my take:

...given the lackluster iPhone 4S response and the upcoming Nexus Prime a couple days before the i4S... well it's gonna get interesting.

Someone should really keep a list of the people making this claim. So that when the 4S dales records are posted we can mock them in public...
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

Here's my take:

How exactly is the Nexus Prime superior?

Curved screen? Super amoled screen. Been done already - how well did that Nexus S sell? Funny thing - no one knows.

Ice Cream Sandwich? Well, that'll be on every Android phone in the future. So what's the buzz over the Nexus Prime all about? It's about Samsung improving on marketing.

Don't get me wrong. Samsung makes really good phones. But the Nexus Prime is a Google reference design. Based on history (and that's all we have to go by), they never ever sell in meaningful quantities. Maybe that'll change this time. But, until proven otherwise, the serious competition to iPhone 4S is Galaxy S2.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post

Business is business.

Indeed. And business is about the bottom line. So far, the bottom line for Android may be that it has made more money for Microsoft than for Google. And Google has revealed that it has made more money off iPhone than Android.

Business is funny.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Also, question to all those saying the stock price yesterday was a sign of how bad the new phone is....

So today people are changing their minds?
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post

Business is business.

Well there is honorable business and illegal business and lots of shades of gray in between. People who say things like 'nothing personal just business' are more likely to be on the devious side of that bell curve. Sort of like our friend Eric Schmidt who wasn't entirely honest about his intentions when he sat on the Apple board.