3GS to 4S Sim / Plan Upgrade?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Morning folks,

Amidst all the news of Steve's passing I had almost forgotten about Friday. Suddenly I realized that I might have an issue and I was wondering if anyone knew about how Apple/ATT handles this.

I currently have a 3GS and the Unlimited Data plan, I have owned the 3GS since day 1. I also know that since then, they changed to Micro-Sim cards vs the 3GS standard Sim.

so the 2 questions.

1) If I go to upgrade the phone when I pre-order on Friday, will they ship me a micro-sim with my current # associated with it?

2) Do we get to keep our Unlimited Data plan that had been grandfathered in previously? I only want to upgrade my hardware, not the voice/data plan I am on.

Thanks for your time folks, I appreciate it very much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    We can only guess and speculate.

On the other hand, you could call ATT and find out for sure!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    My apologies, I truly did not intend to come across as helpless. I certainly can call them, and I am hoping to get a moment to do so, I've been very busy at work during the daytime hours working overtime and such.

The reason for my question was that I was hoping that this question had already been answered when folks transitioned from the Original, 3G and in a few cases, 3GS to the already existing iPhone 4.

Thanks for taking the time to review my question, I appreciate any info from other folks experiences that may assist me.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miykael View Post

Morning folks,

Amidst all the news of Steve's passing I had almost forgotten about Friday. Suddenly I realized that I might have an issue and I was wondering if anyone knew about how Apple/ATT handles this.

I currently have a 3GS and the Unlimited Data plan, I have owned the 3GS since day 1. I also know that since then, they changed to Micro-Sim cards vs the 3GS standard Sim.

so the 2 questions.

1) If I go to upgrade the phone when I pre-order on Friday, will they ship me a micro-sim with my current # associated with it?

2) Do we get to keep our Unlimited Data plan that had been grandfathered in previously? I only want to upgrade my hardware, not the voice/data plan I am on.

Thanks for your time folks, I appreciate it very much.

You can cut-to-fit the original SIM to me a micro SIM. I did it when upgrading from 3GS to iPhone 4. I physically grabbed scissors and cut it. There are multiple websites showing how to do this.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    1swift1swift Posts: 23member
    I cant imagine that there'd be a problem with the new micro sim that will arrive with the iPhone. You're going to activate it and assign it to your account. If you're grandfathered in it should just work as your previous phone did and de-activate your old sim

Though I guess you can cut it if you're worried.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You don't have to cut the sim unless you've been running unlocked on a different carrier.

I've seen people upgrade from 3 series to 4 series iPhones and the number is simply assigned to the new micro sim.

iPhones don't store much info on the sim card so it's not imperative that it moves with the phone.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You don't have to cut the sim unless you've been running unlocked on a different carrier.

I've seen people upgrade from 3 series to 4 series iPhones and the number is simply assigned to the new micro sim.

iPhones don't store much info on the sim card so it's not imperative that it moves with the phone.

Thank you, I was not aware that this was the case and that surely eases any fears I had.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I attempted to pre-order the 4S through ATT's site and it showed my $30 unlimited data plan pricing but said that a different data plan would be required. I THEN went to Apple's website and Pre-Ordered through their store and they not only showed the option to select the Unlimited Data plan, but also allowed me to keep it as well.

I don't know if that is a glitch on Apple's part or ATT's but I am so far glad I stopped to check Apple's site.