FireWire drive just died... help!

zozo
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a LaCie 20GB Pocketdrive and its been working fine until now. I had re-formatted it using osx Disk Utility and all was fine.

I then restarted into MacOS 9 yesterday and plugged it in. I had the Silverlining app open at the same time. I dont think it had anything to do with it though.

Anyway, there are two lights, green when its on standby and ready, and it becomes orange when there is activity. It just STAYS at orange. You hear the HD never spinning down. It also never mounts the partitions.

Silverlining can see the drive plugged in but then cannot select it and says "Device Not Ready".I tried using DiskWarrior and Norton but none see the drive. Back in OS X, same thing happens. Disk Utility is all I can use, and it appears as LaCie 00.00gb. I can select it, but all options are greyed out (Erase, Format, Disk First Aid, etc).

I have sent an email to LaCie but havent received any replies yet. Was wondering is you guys knew anything about what could be done. I have never dropped it nor mistreated it. I dont see what it could be besides a mechanical failure of somekind... but I dont have any tools that can diagnose it! Agh!

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: ZO ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    hmmm, seeing that its either auto powered by the FireWire cable or you can use external power and use USB, I just removed the FW cable and hooked on the external power. Just by doing that the drive starts up and the light remains orange.

Dammit, I think its hardware prob And I'll bet anything in the world that my guarantee has just expired on it
  • Reply 2 of 2
    The Only thing I can think of at the time is when you formatted the drive in MacOS X it formated the drive with only a Mac OS X heading and not a heading for Mac OS 9. Which in return will cause errors when you try to acces the drive on Mac 9. Try somehow to reformat the drive on Mac OS9 . Then it will work. Just dont format is on Mac OsX