Home and mobile Apple systems; which one?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I am going to purchase my first Mac, and want to set up a system that will work well together. What would you think is better;

1) 27" iMac desktop as primary/home computer, iPad2 3G for mobile computing/ on the road and work, iPod touch for ultraportable, times when even an iPad is too big to take along.

or

2) 13" Mac Air as primary computer (with an external portable hard drive if necessary) and also for use as mobile computer, iPhone as ultraportable everything computer (also to tether to Air as personal hotspot if away from wifi when on the road) and 27" Cinema Display at home to use with Air to get around having to look at small screen ALL the time.

I would be using these for the usual internet / photos / music needs that everyone has nowadays, plus for work which would be emails, word docs, spreadsheets (nothing TOO complex ) and PDF files. I know Macs can handle all of those things, but what would be better, Air or iPad? I also object vehemently what the cellphone companies make you pay for plans now ( here in Canada it's minimum $60/ month or $25/month for iPad3G service, which can be month to month ) How much I end up paying for service is ultimately up to me to get over, but any opinions on the above systems? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If it were me (and just me) I'd go with choice #2.

It sounds like your computing needs will be more than xoveredby the Air... And it's barely less portable than the iPad. If you're willing to pay for the hotspot service, then it's got internet access anytime your phone is in your pocket!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

If it were me (and just me) I'd go with choice #2.

It sounds like your computing needs will be more than xoveredby the Air... And it's barely less portable than the iPad. If you're willing to pay for the hotspot service, then it's got internet access anytime your phone is in your pocket!

Thanks for the input. I think I am leaning towards the Mac Air over the iPad. Wasn't sure if the Air would work as a primary computer, but it certainly seems capable.

Any others out there with suggestions?