Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

Comments

• Reply 141 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am thinking that Siri is the tip of the iceberg as regards iPhone 5. iPhone 4S is essentially a test bed for the new paradigm in portable computing input: voice.

You are right -- but I believe it will be much more than portable computing.

Apparently, Apple has integrated Siri deep within iOS and some iOS apps.

No reason that the same thing couldn't be advantageous to Mac OS X and Mac apps.

I believe that once the Siri beta is over, Apple will open the Siri APIs to 3rd-party Apple developers...

Then we'll see an explosion of interactive voice dialog apps -- where a simple headset in continuous communication, can largely replace the mouse and keyboard in a dialog something like this:

You: Pages, bring up that picture of a stone wheel!

Pages: This one?

You: Yeah... Select the white background areas and clear them;

Pages: OK?

You: No, you missed the area in the center of the wheel?

Pages: OK?

You: You don't have to ask OK -- I will tell you when I need you to do something.

You: Give me a new layer named Red Stripe.

You: Give me a brush 30 pixels wide and red in color:

You: No, deeper red.

You: At a 45 degree angle draw a stripe from the upper left edge of the wheel to the lower right edge.

You: No, better make that 25 pixels wide.

You: That's it! Upload it to my iDisk as a file named: Wheel fail.png, and open the file in Safari.

You: Copy the URL and paste it into my AI post as an image.

You: Siri, how's AAPL doing.

Siri: Up $14.95 and 4.08%

• Reply 142 of 205
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

They are pretty bad at the moment. I believe there must be an amazon Turk machine paying out 10 cents a post for negative iPhone comments. They all say the same thing, it never has anything at all to do with the topic. It is out of hand.

Just think of it this way: the more traffic the articles, forums, and trolls generate for Apple Insider, the more money apple Insider can get for their ads. So even trolls are contributing to Apple Insider's current and future success.

Any of the regular trolls care to try to spin that into an anti-Apple flame war?

No? Didn't think so.
  • Reply 143 of 205
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I've never seen this sort of phenomenon with any other brand.

My PC died and I didn't see the point in spending $400 on a new mobo, proc and ram for a system I would be passing along to my 3 1/2 and 6 yr old daughters, so I spent $800 on a Mini and I'm using it till I get the laptop. I've been considering the change over to OS X for quite awhile, money hasn't been lining up for it. Tax time this year, after the Ivy Bridge processors are released, we'll get one of the updated laptops. We aren't buying b/c Steve died, we're buying b/c we consider the quality of the products to be higher and they are making things that we want. Simple as that.

I have seen this sort of thing before, but it's usually things like people having Sony everything. TV, receiver, cd player, headphones, VAIO laptop, etc.
  • Reply 144 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anmarkle View Post

The carrier was most likely instructed to hold the package for delivery on Friday so I wouldn't expect it any earlier. This is how it worked for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

Not for me. My iPhone 4 came a day early, but who knows.
  • Reply 145 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

They're "concern trolls" and some of them are paid to do it. The ones who aren't paid to do it are just sickos doing it for the thrill.

And why would Google or Microsoft pay a concern troll? Because concern trolling actually had an effect on some obscure little election years ago. But that's just politics. With Apple it's more like religion. And concern trolling has zero chance of changing anyone's faith.

Pure anti-Apple trolling is the basic mindless "Apple sucks." Concern trolling is an attempt to sway forum members' opinions. And a straight attack isn't the way to do that. The first sentence of a concern troll has to hook the other forum members into thinking that the troll is actually pro-Apple in some way. We've all seen it. "I'm a lifelong Apple user, but I've got some serious issues about what Apple is doing with <apple_product_or_service_name>." No you aren't. No you don't.

Seen that. Ignored that. Didn't change our minds.

Here's Wikipedia's entry on "Concern Trolling": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concern...#Concern_troll

You really are taking all this too seriously. For your sake, I hope you're getting paid for it.
  • Reply 146 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Can I ask what that means? What's an example of something that's integrated *shallow* within iOS?

I also wonder, if Siri is simply integrated in iOS. Phil Schiller intimated during the keynote that perhaps the Siri engine, or at least part of it, is in the cloud. So perhaps the strategy, as currently implemented, is not to integrate Siri in iOS.
  • Reply 147 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I can't speak for you. But there are many regulars here who never ever tolerate anything that sounds slightly not in favor of Apple, and will label those who look at both sides of the story as trolls. True, there are folks here whose every post is pro-Android or anti-Apple. But there are indeed more than a few who embrace Apple products but do not drink the entire glass of Cool-aid. Some of these folks have been flamed, taunted and gang-tackled.

That's true...

I, personally, am guilty of some of the flaming, taunting and gang-tackling... though, I consciously try to avoid it (and often just abandon a reply to an annoying post) and ignore the poster.

Unfortunately, after a continuous spewing of bile by the few real trolls, it becomes difficult to separate a valid criticism from the bile -- you get worn down.

But the good conversation usually outweighs the bad -- much to the chagrin of the trolls with an agenda.
  • Reply 148 of 205
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

[...]

No reason that the same thing couldn't be advantageous to Mac OS X and Mac apps.

I believe that once the Siri beta is over, Apple will open the Siri APIs to 3rd-party Apple developers...

Then we'll see an explosion of interactive voice dialog apps -- where a simple headset in continuous communication, can largely replace the mouse and keyboard in a dialog something like this:

[...]

I had wondered if and when anybody would be able to finally get rid of the GUI for basic question-and-answer computing tasks. Apple seems to have done it with Siri.

Yes, there will always be a need for screens to show maps, photos, etc. But "Do I turn right or left here?" doesn't need a screen. "Is Monday a holiday?" doesn't need a screen, etc.

Apple has jumped two levels ahead of the same old 1980s desktop productivity metaphor that we're all familiar with. The first level is full-screen apps with the elimination of Finder and the need to deal with files and folders and that whole mess. Easy for us since we've been bred to do it. Hard for newbies because who really uses manila folders full of stuff any more?

The second level is eliminating the GUI entirely for many tasks. That opens the door to much more than just quick-and-easy data retrieval, voice dialing, and audio to-do lists. It answers this question: "How does Apple break into the television market in a significant way?"

I think TV is a major reason why Apple bought Siri. For years, all of us have been wondering what kind of novel remote control Apple would create for Apple TV and the rumored Apple TV set. The Apple Remote is just a placeholder. Entering text by navigating to one letter at a time is excruciating. And using your iPhone or iPod touch or iPad as a remote is drastic overkill. And even if your iDevice is right there, you still need to take your eyes off the TV and tap the right buttons.

Siri could eliminate much, if not all, of the physical remote features. Changing channels, setting volume, etc. are all easy. But Apple could go far beyond that. How about "Show me last week's Monday Night Football game"? Or "Play all episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation that feature Ashley Judd"?

It would take some massive improvement over the current (miserable) state of the art in the television industry. Apple could kill off 3D TV the way they killed off the floppy disc, SCSI and parallel protocols, CDs (and soon DVD / BD.) Looking forward to seeing what they do.

========

p.s. Ashley Judd appears in two episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

========
  • Reply 149 of 205
    Quote:

That's true...

I, personally, am guilty of some of the flaming, taunting and gang-tackling... though, I consciously try to avoid it (and often just abandon a reply to an annoying post) and ignore the poster.

Unfortunately, after a continuous spewing of bile by the few real trolls, it becomes difficult to separate a valid criticism from the bile -- you get worn down.

But the good conversation usually outweighs the bad -- much to the chagrin of the trolls with an agenda.

I appreciate your sincere response. From my perch, the vile is equally strong from both sides. But I think it's fair for the home team (this is an Apple fan site, after all) to be defensive if they feel invaded.

At the same time, I don't understand the *agenda* that trolls purportedly have. I think that might be giving anyone too much credit. Sometimes, people just like to have some fun at others' expense. This is easy to do with zealots. I for one have been guilty of that.
  • Reply 150 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Shareholders generally want to see growth and increased market share.

Selling mor phones is "growth and marketshare" for AAPL (new phones = growth, old phones being resold = marke share ?). They don't care if they are new or repeat costumers.

New telco subscribers are a concern of ATT shareholders, not AAPL's.
  • Reply 151 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Can I ask what that means? What's an example of something that's integrated *shallow* within iOS?

A simple example [of shallow integration] is any of the single-purpose apps like clock or calculator -- they are just apps sitting atop iOS-- like a few apps I wrote for friends and family. They use iOS APIs but each is an island unto itself.

Deeper integration is illustrated [in the Siri Demo] of Siri delegating web retrieval to Safari or asking the Contacts app for specific information without bringing up the [Contacts] app -- same for replying to texts, scheduling meetings, setting alarms and timers.

I think, in the next iteration of Siri, when Scott gets Phil's message "When can we do Lunch", Siri will be able to coordinate free time from both Scott's and Phil's schedules, suggest dates and reserve time on each's calendar -- and Scott will just select a date, confirm -- then Siri will update all.

Quote:

I also wonder, if Siri is simply integrated in iOS. Phil Schiller intimated during the keynote that perhaps the Siri engine, or at least part of it, is in the cloud. So perhaps the strategy, as currently implemented, is not to integrate Siri in iOS.

I posted this to another thread...

Quote:

Yes, obviously, it has to go to the Internet to get anything that is not stored on the device!

It appears to work like this:

1) Siri, delegates speech-to-text translation to Nuance, on the iPhone 4S.

2) Then, Siri analyzes what needs to be done, on the iPhone 4S.

3) If the request can be resolved on the device, it is delegated to an app on the iPhone 4S.

-- make a note

-- set a timer, alarm

-- read a message, etc.

4) If the request requires web interaction, Siri delegates round-tripping to the web by making efficient, streamlined requests* of apps like Maps, Safari, etc. The request is assembled, and the results decoded/formatted* (if necessary) and displayed by Siri on the iPhone 4S.

5) For some requests, Siri passes the request to Wolfram, Yelp, etc.

At this point we don't know whether Siri passes the translated speech-to-text directly to the 3rd party service. However, I suspect that Siri passes the results of its analysis: "what is mitosis", "Find me a good Greek restaurant in Palo Alto", etc. in an efficient, streamlined request* to Apple's servers. Then, Apple's servers make a high-speed backend request to the desired 3rd-party service. Finally, Apple's servers assemble and encode* the information and returns it to Siri on the device. The request results are decoded/formatted* (if necessary) and displayed by Siri on the iPhone 4S.

6) On the iPhone 4S, Siri delegates text-to-speech translation to built-in iOS routines. Siri, does analysis, delegation and presentation.

* There are much more (10-100 x or more) efficient ways of communicating with the web than through HTML, XML and Web Services.

• Reply 152 of 205
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1 world mode phone

2 months plus of production, rumoured.

2 colours without delay.

3 capacities

3 major US carriers.

7 countries on day one.

22 more countries 14 days later.

Apple definitely wants to take the "Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronics Device" crown away from MS's Kinect which sold 8 million units in 60 days.

I predict 3 million sales for opening weekend.
  • Reply 153 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1 world mode phone

2 colours without delay.

3 capacities

3 major US carriers.

7 countries on day one.

Apple definitely wants to take the "Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronics Device" crown away from MS's Kinect which sold 8 million units in 60 days.

It only has a 3.5" screen.

• Reply 154 of 205
    Quote:

I agree with the thrust of your post, but not with your example particularly. I think graphic design fits more naturally into the physical manipulation mode. Talking your way through it, while possible, seems unnecessarily clunky. If you have to work while your hands are otherwise occupied, or if you are disabled, then this option is a plus.

But your notion that voice capability can be shared with desktop computing seems logical to me.

The next frontier is the screen on a pocket computer. How can we overcome the size limitation that portability imposes? Glasses with projection screens have been tried, and I understand that projecting onto our retinas is also in the works. Obviously both these options would only be acceptable when your eyes are not otherwise engaged in important or dangerous work.
  • Reply 155 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

are you serious right now?

hell you even admitted to be led by blind faith as if such a thing is a good thing.

Just like Young Earth Creationists believe that a flood carved the grand canyon or that there is a massive worldwide multi-faith multi-national conspiracy to hide the truth of Creation by scientists who work to refute each other and old theories day in and old.

WOT, but I believe that the flooding of the Colorado River over millions of years is credited [by scientists] with carving the Grand Canyon.

Have you been there? The twists and turns of the canyon seem to follow the twists and turns of the river...

Anecdotally, dams (like Glen Ganyon) above Grand Canyon have changed the erosion patterns within the canyon.
  • Reply 156 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

They're "concern trolls" and some of them are paid to do it. The ones who aren't paid to do it are just sickos doing it for the thrill.

Quote:

Methinks thou dost protest too much.
  • Reply 157 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1 world mode phone

2 colours without delay.

3 capacities

3 major US carriers.

7 countries on day one.

Good call!
  • Reply 158 of 205
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I laugh in the general direction of all knuckledragging Fandroid Freaks.

You pathetic, clueless trolls, go suck on it!

As far as I'm concerned, it is open hunting season on Fandroids and I'm coming for ya!

Be afraid, be very afraid.
  • Reply 159 of 205
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

hell you even admitted to be led by blind faith as if such a thing is a good thing.

Just like Young Earth Creationists believe that a flood carved the grand canyon or that there is a massive worldwide multi-faith multi-national conspiracy to hide the truth of Creation by scientists who work to refute each other and old theories day in and old.

Here is something created by repeated massive flooding.
    It's also a NOVA special from 2005 that I think is worth watching. Can't find it on Netflix or Hulu but it's on YouTube as multiple videos…
    Quote:

WOT, but I believe that the flooding of the Colorado River over millions of years is credited [by scientists] with carving the Grand Canyon.

Have you been there? The twists and turns of the canyon seem to follow the twists and turns of the river...

Anecdotally, dams (like Glen Ganyon) above Grand Canyon have changed the erosion patterns within the canyon.

From a geological standpoint I seem to recall the canyon is relatively young but the forcing up of the rock caused the river to carve through it much faster than would normally happen.

It's one of those things people have to see for themselves. You can't look at a picture and get a feel for it's grandness.
  • Reply 160 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Being disappointed that the iPhone 4S wasn't the iPhone 5 doesn't make you anti-Apple.

It's a very sad day when we can't comment honestly on forums like this without being constantly attacked for doing so.

I think such disappointment was the result of letting the rumor mill (including sites like AI) set up unrealized expectations about Apple's future products. There's no guarantee that Apple will even ever use the name iPhone 5. You have to remember that unless it comes from Apple, it's nothing but a rumor, and the "sources" that start these rumors don't always know what they are talking about.