Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

1567911

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 205
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    A simple example [of shallow integration] is any of the single-purpose apps like clock or calculator -- they are just apps sitting atop iOS-- like a few apps I wrote for friends and family. They use iOS APIs but each is an island unto itself.



    Deeper integration is illustrated [in the Siri Demo] of Siri delegating web retrieval to Safari or asking the Contacts app for specific information without bringing up the [Contacts] app -- same for replying to texts, scheduling meetings, setting alarms and timers.



    I think, in the next iteration of Siri, when Scott gets Phil's message "When can we do Lunch", Siri will be able to coordinate free time from both Scott's and Phil's schedules, suggest dates and reserve time on each's calendar -- and Scott will just select a date, confirm -- then Siri will update all.







    I posted this to another thread...



    Is speech-to-text translation really done on the device? Not according to this - http://bit.ly/nbVTZ0.
  • Reply 162 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    but Apple makes mistakes and have released some real duds too!



    Watchu talkinabout Willis?
  • Reply 163 of 205
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post


    Where are alll the people who were soooooooo dissappointed that there was no iPhone 5 AND because there was no iPhone 5 AND they were sooooooo disappointed they claimed the 4S would be a dud? I'll bet they crawled back under their rocks!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    They are all still out there.



    To quote you from another recent thread, "<plonk>."



    Which you used maybe a year ago (on me) under another of your identities, I believe it was Newtron.



    You should be careful to not use that repellent insult more than once in a lifetime of professional trolling.



    Now go away. Your only intent is to pollute the forum.
  • Reply 164 of 205
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Watchu talkinabout Willis?



    Yeah, if he/she doesn't have any proof of this....I'm gonna eat his/her children!
  • Reply 165 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Here is something created by repeated massive flooding.
    It's also a NOVA special from 2005 that I think is worth watching. Can't find it on Netflix or Hulu but it's on YouTube as multiple videos?


    From a geological standpoint I seem to recall the canyon is relatively young but the forcing up of the rock caused the river to carve through it much faster than would normally happen.



    It's one of those things people have to see for themselves. You can't look at a picture and get a feel for it's grandness.



    I watched that NOVA special. The erosion is nowhere as deep as the grand canyon so it is conceivable that it did happen in a single event. On the other hand the Grand Canyon's relative youth compared to how deep it is has been estimated at no less than 6 million years old although earlier estimates were like 15 million. Even so, the argument is that it would need be only 5,000 years old to fit the creationist theory.
  • Reply 166 of 205
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Even so, the argument is that it would need be only 5,000 years old to fit the creationist theory.



    I find it odd that most Creationists are so quick to say the Bible isn't to be taken literally except when it comes to the age of the Earth. As if a deity couldn't slow down time which is now just talking about science in regards to time.
  • Reply 167 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I find it odd that most Creationists are so quick to say the Bible isn't to be taken literally except when it comes to the age of the Earth. As if a deity couldn't slow down time which is now just talking about science in regards to time.



    I don't at all agree with the 5,000 year time line, however, there are some interesting suggestions out there. One is that in the Bible where is states that in the beginning God created the earth, there is a translation error. The word used for created is more commonly used as in 'to build'. As such the world could have existed for millions of years and God used the existing matter to build the world much as you might use a 100 year old oak tree to build a new chair.
  • Reply 168 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


    To quote you from another recent thread, "<plonk>."



    Which you used maybe a year ago (on me) under another of your identities, I believe it was Newtron.



    You should be careful to not use that repellent insult more than once in a lifetime of professional trolling.



    Now go away. Your only intent is to pollute the forum.



    ... and I wasn't even nasty to him. I just kept asking him to explain himself and he just <plonked> me instead of answering the question.
  • Reply 169 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I don't at all agree with the 5,000 year time line, however, there are some interesting suggestions out there. One is that in the Bible where is states that in the beginning God created the earth, there is a translation error. The word used for created is more commonly used as in 'to build'. As such the world could have existed for millions of years and God used the existing matter to build the world much as you might use a 100 year old oak tree to build a new chair.



    Creationism has been fully refuted.



    Hence why the wedge document and intelligent design popped up.



    Cdesign proponentists and such.
  • Reply 170 of 205
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    Creationism has been fully refuted.



    Hence why the wedge document and intelligent design popped up.



    Cdesign proponentists and such.



    Maybe the word refute doesn't have the same meaning it used to but I don't think either side has proved anything. You can disagree with the Bible and probably even disprove some of its alleged claims, but that in itself does not disprove the existence of god or a creator. I personally think the Bible rife with BS but that doesn't prove anything, it is just my opinion. I'm not a Buddhist either like Steve was, but at least Buddhism has a very minimal BS factor, since it doesn't claim anything at all about supreme spiritual entities or creation.
  • Reply 171 of 205
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    OMG, I just preordered my first iPhone (2 4ses and 1 4!). Oh, I hope I get it next week!
  • Reply 172 of 205
    None of you were there when the world was made same as I wasn't but I prefer to believe God. He was there. Believe me or not, you will find out the truth eventually.
  • Reply 173 of 205
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post


    None of you were there when the world was made same as I wasn't but I prefer to believe God. He was there. Believe me or not, you will find out the truth eventually.



    Ignoring all talk of religion I'm curious about the argument that you weren't there so you don't know." I find it hard to fathom that there are people in the 21st century that think any knowledge other than empirical can't be trusted. <Omitted comment that points out the hypocrisy of quoted comment.> I wasn't around when Steve Jobs was born but I'm pretty sure that he was despite not being able to ever observe his birth firsthand.
  • Reply 174 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    wasn't around when Steve Jobs was born but I'm pretty sure that he was despite not being able to ever observe his birth firsthand.



    Yes, but how you do know he wasn't born in Kenya?
  • Reply 175 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Maybe the word refute doesn't have the same meaning it used to but I don't think either side has proved anything. You can disagree with the Bible and probably even disprove some of its alleged claims, but that in itself does not disprove the existence of god or a creator. I personally think the Bible rife with BS but that doesn't prove anything, it is just my opinion. I'm not a Buddhist either like Steve was, but at least Buddhism has a very minimal BS factor, since it doesn't claim anything at all about supreme spiritual entities or creation.



    No science is attempting to disprove God...that's a strawman constructed by the likes of the Creation Institute, etc.



    Science makes no claims to morality, deities, or anything of the sort.
  • Reply 176 of 205
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post


    None of you were there when the world was made same as I wasn't but I prefer to believe God. He was there. Believe me or not, you will find out the truth eventually.



    If you weren't there, then how do you know I wasn't? Or Britney Spears? Or Barack Obama?



    That's the problem: the person making the claim is the one who holds the burden. The claim that "God was there" is unprovable. Not only that, you can't even show it to be likely to be true. You (or anyone else making a similar claim) can't show that some mythical deity created the world. You can't show that this mythical entity even exists. There is absolutely no evidence for its existence, whatsoever.



    The person to whom the claim is made is not the one who needs to somehow show that the claim is untrue. That's not the way it works. Otherwise, I could say that you need to show to me that Britney Spears didn't create the universe.
  • Reply 177 of 205
    I can make a hypothesis that Britney Spears did not create the universe. I can then attempt to prove my hypothesis by repeatable experiments and evidence. No one has shown in any way shape or form how to create life and prove it by repeating it.



    We also have reason and logic built into us. I know that none of you were there because most of us have a pretty good understanding of biology and life spans. We also all have the same dead things to look at to try to figure out how life began. The one other thing that we have is God's word. He said that it is his word and proved it by predicting things that eventually came true. Therefore a logical reasoning man can put trust into the other things God said would happen and did happen. Why can't a 21st century man believe the Bible and trust God? I don't think I am the ignorant one.



    You don't have to believe me. If I said things to make you feel good about there being no God, then I would be lying. The best thing I can do for you is to tell you the truth about what I know. Eventually we will all stand before our maker and then we will see. Until then I will keep on speaking the truth.
  • Reply 178 of 205
    There is one other fact that no one wants to associate with how the worlds began. The person we call Jesus Christ. He was there in the beginning. He also became a man and lived on the Earth. Because he was 100% God and 100% man he was able to do what we can not, satisfy a perfect God. He paid our debt by going to the cross and taking our punishment for disobeying God.



    You may wonder what that has to do with the geological post that started this discussion. It is all wrapped up together. If all you scientists are open minded a enough, please take a long hard look at the possibility that a real earth covering flood happened during the life of a man we call Noah. It is a fascinating incident that can explain most of the geological evidence we have today. Unfortunately for those who hate the idea of morality tied into our existence, the flood came because God was judging the people of earth. He provided safety in the boat Noah built. They laughed at him. Jesus Christ is the boat today. Trusting in his finished work on the cross is the safe place. Like Noah, those who tell the truth are laughed at. The ones who laughed at Noah perished in the flood. Do you want to perish?
  • Reply 179 of 205
    The evidence that God exists is all around you. Observation, logic and reason have to tell you how complex the world is. From the tiniest particle to the far reaches of the universe. We haven't even begun to reach the limit. The human body alone is completely impossible to accomplish with nothing but time. Lots and lots of time. How exactly does time alone create us? Why do we have morality built into our psyche? The only device evolution has is time. There is hyper design in every animal, plant and geological structure. Take the human eye alone and really study it and then tell me that time alone created it.
  • Reply 180 of 205
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post


    There is one other fact that no one wants to associate with how the worlds began. The person we call Jesus Christ. He was there in the beginning. He also became a man and lived on the Earth. Because he was 100% God and 100% man he was able to do what we can not, satisfy a perfect God. He paid our debt by going to the cross and taking our punishment for disobeying God.



    You may wonder what that has to do with the geological post that started this discussion. It is all wrapped up together. If all you scientists are open minded a enough, please take a long hard look at the possibility that a real earth covering flood happened during the life of a man we call Noah. It is a fascinating incident that can explain most of the geological evidence we have today. Unfortunately for those who hate the idea of morality tied into our existence, the flood came because God was judging the people of earth. He provided safety in the boat Noah built. They laughed at him. Jesus Christ is the boat today. Trusting in his finished work on the cross is the safe place. Like Noah, those who tell the truth are laughed at. The ones who laughed at Noah perished in the flood. Do you want to perish?



    I thought religious discussion was off limits in forums like this? He can't be 100% God and 100% man, that's 200%. There has not been a giant flood in the last 5000 years. I'm sorry, there just hasn't. We have evidence of people living all over in that time and all those civilizations would have been wiped out. There is no evidence that matches the layers of silt and debris that would have occurred from a massive flood like that. If it had happened, we would find layers of that stuff at roughly the same depth the world over, but we don't.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post


    The evidence that God exists is all around you. Observation, logic and reason have to tell you how complex the world is. From the tiniest particle to the far reaches of the universe. We haven't even begun to reach the limit. The human body alone is completely impossible to accomplish with nothing but time. Lots and lots of time. How exactly does time alone create us? Why do we have morality built into our psyche? The only device evolution has is time. There is hyper design in every animal, plant and geological structure. Take the human eye alone and really study it and then tell me that time alone created it.



    Time and mutation and evolution. Yeah, nothing but time. Moron creationists.





    Now back to your regularly scheduled bitching about Apple and Android
Sign In or Register to comment.