iMac and projector

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been trying to hook up my iMac DV SE 400 to a Proxima 2800 to no avail.

I've tried different OS's:

*under 9.0, which came with the iMac, the computer didn't seem to realize it was hooked up to a monitor (no indication in Monitors Control Panel or Control Strip). I tried powering up the iMac and projector in different orders, but no luck.

*Displays in System Preferences in OS X doesn't seem to realize the iMac is capable of video mirroring; there's no "Detect Displays" option.

I haven't had the opportunity to test the iMac with other monitors/projectors. The projector works with my TiBook under OS 9, but not X.

The projector is only 640x480 and about 9 years old. I'm guessing this is just a hopeless hardware incompatibility.

But if anyone knows of a software fix, I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    I shouldn't require software, it is purely a hardware issue.

Odd that it works with a powerbook, but not an iMac.

Try putting the iMac to sleep, connecting the proxima, and waking it. Then try opening the monitor control panel.

The only thing I can think of is if the proxima and iMac don't share a common video mode, ie res. and hertz. The TiBook can do 'spanning', but iMacs are limited to mirroring.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    a few things to try.

1. if you're using 9.0, update to 9.1.

2. check the website for the projector, see if they have any files/patches/updates there.

3. try setting the iMac to 640x480 when you start up, see if that works.