Sprint 4S Owners!

duoduo
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I was wondering if any of you had had the opportunity of testing out the claim that the phones shipped with an unlocked MicroSIM slot. Has anyone tried sticking their AT&T MicroSIMs in yet to check whether the initially unlocked phones are only unlocked for use with international SIMs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Didn't? Sprint specifically say they weren't?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    duoduo Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn't? Sprint specifically say they weren't?

At launch, the International SIM will be unlocked. We do expect a SIM lock to be pushed to the devices shortly after launch. We will then allow existing customers in good standing to unlock the SIM for international use if needed in the future.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1630...ng_policy.html
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

At launch, the International SIM will be unlocked. We do expect a SIM lock to be pushed to the devices shortly after launch.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

?

DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. YOU WORTHLESS IDIOTS, DIE.

Well, that answers your question?or at the very least, renders it moot?doesn't it? Even if they are being shipped unlocked, you'll be locked right up again because they think they have the right to do that to you.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

?

DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE. YOU WORTHLESS IDIOTS, DIE.

Well, that answers your question?or at the very least, renders it moot?doesn't it? Even if they are being shipped unlocked, you'll be locked right up again because they think they have the right to do that to you.

Well, not entirely. You see, if the unlocked phones are truly unlocked in the sense that I understand it, then for me at least, I can acquire a Sprint 4S and activate it on my line. After the required holding period, call them up and have it unlocked for use with any domestic carrier I want. At least this option seems better than purchasing a 4S unlocked from Apple since doing so automatically bars you from getting service with either CDMA carrier.

As for my understanding of unlocking: from what I can infer from the statements that have been released, it seems that an unlocked initiated by Sprint or Verizon only enables foreign MicroSIMs while at the same time barring use of domestic ones. Whereas I've always understood unlocking to mean a completely carrier-agnostic device.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    To any who may have been interested:

John Gruber offers partial confirmation. Now all we need to know is whether or not an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM works on this thing.

http://twitter.com/#!/gruber/status/125390836816019456