FTP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am having trouble in using my Internet Explorer for FTP. Fetch doesn't seem to help either. What's the better and easiest way to do ftp from my Apple Mac. I am using system 9.0

Can anyone help please!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Many people use <a href="http://fetchsoftworks.com/"; target="_blank">Fetch</a>, which is a great program. But for ease of use I think it's hard to be <a href="http://www.panic.com/transmit/about.html"; target="_blank">Panic's Transmit</a>. Both are shareware so try 'em out.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Michael Grey ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Why are you having trouble?

Are you not able to connect, or do you just not know how to use FTP?

Some networks ban FTP traffic, which could explain why you are not able to connect. There isn't much good reason to do this, so you might be able to talk to somebody in charge and get the port used for FTP unblocked. My old school did this, and the admins were too dumb to figure out how to open the port in their WindowsNT firewall.. ugh.

-robo
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Also, i'm moving this thread to the Genius Bar forum..
  • Reply 4 of 9
    moosamoosa Posts: 5member
    Well! I have all the server ID, the password and the user ID etc., when I put all the information in Fetch, the dog started running and kept running. The status bar kept showing Connecting... but nothing happened. Then I tried to use the ftp:// command on my Internet Explorer. It did work only for the part that it opened the server page I requested. But I was still having trouble dragging and dropping files from and into it to my Hard Drive.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    In Internet Explorer, this is the syntax to use:

<a href="ftp://usernameassword@ftpaddress/" target="_blank">ftp://usernameassword@ftpaddress/</a>

You can't just drag and drop files from Explorer. You need to just click them or control-click them and choose Save to Disk.

I'm with Michael Grey, though. Try Transmit. I think it's one of the best FTP clients available for Mac.

[edit: try to fix dumb UBB code]

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    did you try any other servers? Maybe that one was down?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    moosamoosa Posts: 5member
    Well... I will try this. Actually I used to ftp on a PC and Internet Explorer behaved like Windows Explorer once you type the syntex for ftp:// in the Internet Explorer. I tried the same thing in Mac but it didnt work.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Oops.. Again I should have read the post first.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>