Address Book: Using smart group for iCloud's contacts?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone able to apply smart group for contacts that are stored on the iCloud?

For example one of the smart group I have is to show all contacts that are not in part of any contact groups. So I will able to filter out any new contacts that I have added using the iPhone. However this seems only applicable to the local contacts. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    richehricheh Posts: 6member

this is what I did and as a general disclaimer I do not guarantee successful smart group merging/syncing FOR OTHERS...it was a fussy procedure and I had to fiddle with it so...

EXPORT A VCARD OF ALL YOUR CONTACTS TO YOUR DESKTOP AND FILE AWAY SAFELY AS A BACKUP

Go to icloud on you browser and log in

go to the address book on line

create the same smart groups names that that you created in you mac address book...COMPLETELY THE SAME

merge or let it merge

ON YOUR COMPUTER

in your mac address book you will end up with your original smart groups and also the "icloud" smart groups  and the same smart groups on your iphone

the icloud groups will be empty...the iphone groups will be empty

on you mac, in your address book select an original smart group then go over and select all of its contents and drag them to the newly created "icloud" groups

you will see things start to happen

things should start agreeing...I had to turn everything off at one point on my phone and then turn it on again to get complete agreement so don't forget to make

a vcard of all your contacts for safety first...

ALL THE BEST...

• Reply 2 of 2
    richehricheh Posts: 6member
    I wanted to post again because I found an app that does what's needed
    And then some.

" Smart contacts for Iphone" that allows you to create and delete
    Groups directly on your iPhone and edit the membership of those
    groups as well....A pretty functional interface that takes a bit of getting
    use to but fits the bill…by pradeep deshmukh (sp)...I haven't
    iCloud winked yet since Installing but it seems to work well w my
    Phone contacts. A key piece of this software is the refresh button.
    Use it often.