iPhone 3GS and iOS 5 battery issue

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone else experiencing heating problems and short battery life on their iPhone 3GS, after installing iOS 5?

I'm also experiencing ongoing app crashes, especially with Safari.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Anyone else experiencing heating problems and short battery life on their iPhone 3GS, after installing iOS 5?

No crashes or heating problems so far, but battery life is definitely down.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    No problems whatsoever with iOS5 on a 3GS (for me.) Battery life appears to be no different than pre-upgrade.

If it's running hot ... that would indicate the CPU is going non-stop (more-or-less) ... which would also explain the short battery life. You need to figure out what's running in the background and keeping the CPU going.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Yes! I have had my 3Gs for a year and a half with no problems. Ever since I upgraded to iOS 5 a few days ago it heats up like crazy (even when app apps are closed and I am not using the phone). Also my battery now only lasts for about 3 hours.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ok I found the solution to the heating and low battery life problem.

1) Remove all your email accounts.

2) Reset your Network Settings. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

3) Restart your iPhone.

4) Add back your email accounts.

That's it
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

2) Reset your Network Settings. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

3) Restart your iPhone.

That's it

I did a clean install, no problems and battery life is pretty much the same, push email and notifications can put quite a drain on the battery. I turn both off personally
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

3) Restart your iPhone.

That's it

Thank you for this, I was having the same issue and this solved it for me.

Unfortunately the only answer I got from my Apple Genius was that IOS5 was not for the 3GS
  • Reply 7 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I've noticed less battery life. It hasn't been too severe but if it gets worse i'll reset my network and delete/add my mail accounts.

Great tip
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I have had all the iPhone versions. While I am not experiencing the heating problems, the battery life is truly horrible. Every 4 hours I have to find a place to recharge my phone.

Its unfortunate and I hope there is an apple solution.

Additionally since downloaded the update, when my address book synch's it overloads my CPU processor on my new MacBook Pro...
  • Reply 9 of 15

My iphone 3 has been heating up alot lately (esp when charging),battery life is also F***ed,100% charged when I leave the house & less than 50% by the time I get to work (45 min train ride).

• Reply 10 of 15

Hi,

Wish I had done my homework before updating to iOS5 on my iPhone 3GS. Didn't know there was a battery drain issue.  After loading 5.0.1, I was surprised to find my phone had shut itself off due to low battery after being fully charged 4 hours earlier.  I had only used the phone once to download a small app.  There were no apps running in the background.  The phone became quite warm to the touch also.  After readiing some blogs on the issue, I tried deleting my email accounts and resetting network connections, but with no improvement.  One blogger suggested that if you're having this problem, there must be an app at fault.  Not wanting to try to isolate the bad app, I tried the obvious solution and DELETED MY ICLOUD ACCOUNT.  That did the trick.  My phone is back to normal now.  Hey Apple, you're missing a great opportunity:  You should market iCloud as a handwamer app for the iPhone.

Thanks 

• Reply 11 of 15

Hi,

Wish I had done my homework before updating to iOS5 on my iPhone 3GS. Didn't know there was a battery drain issue.  After loading 5.0.1, I was surprised to find my phone had shut itself off due to low battery after being fully charged 4 hours earlier.  I had only used the phone once to download a small app.  There were no apps running in the background.  The phone became quite warm to the touch also.  After readiing some blogs on the issue, I tried deleting my email accounts and resetting network connections, but with no improvement.  One blogger suggested that if you're having this problem, there must be an app at fault.  Not wanting to try to isolate the bad app, I tried the obvious solution and DELETED MY ICLOUD ACCOUNT.  That did the trick.  My phone is back to normal now.  Hey Apple, you're missing a great opportunity:  You should market iCloud as a handwamer app for the iPhone.

• Reply 12 of 15

No problems whatsoever with iOS5 on a 3GS (for me.) Battery life appears to be no different than pre-upgrade.

If it's running hot ... that would indicate the CPU is going non-stop (more-or-less) ... which would also explain the short battery life. You need to figure out what's running in the background and keeping the CPU going.[IMG]http://www.sticky-language.com/2.jpg[/IMG]

• Reply 13 of 15

I am not sure what OS I have the settings , about says 6.0,  (10A403).   Yesterday it went dead in 3 hrs. after a full chg.  No use except I viewed a calendar event.

This thing used to last all day till night with 50% left.   Sometimes I would charge mid day just to keep it up.  I will be asked when I go to Sprint store if I have gone online and done the "Fix"  so what is my fix?

• Reply 14 of 15

Originally Posted by Greg Chick View Post

I am not sure what OS I have the settings , about says 6.0,  (10A403).   Yesterday it went dead in 3 hrs. after a full chg.  No use except I viewed a calendar event.

This thing used to last all day till night with 50% left.   Sometimes I would charge mid day just to keep it up.  I will be asked when I go to Sprint store if I have gone online and done the "Fix"  so what is my fix?

Update to 6.0.1.

• Reply 15 of 15

this is a serious problem. did you try unlocking your iphone.