Mail app not auto-fetching for iPhone 4S (tried searching)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I honestly tried to search for anyone that might have previously asked this. I just got an iPhone after using a Verizon Droid for years. I use a g-mail account for e-mail with friends from Japan since that is more common that SMS text. The problem is the closest I can set the mails is to check every 15min. Is there a way to automatically "push" the e-mails so they show up as soon as they are received by the server? Since I am e-mail like most people text it is a back and forth conversation and I don't want to be hitting refresh on the mail app every second. I also don't want to try to wait every 15min to reply to friends.

I noticed only iCloud has it as a "push" setting and the gmail is a "fetch" setting. I don't know if that means I can't set it to automatically get mails pushed to the phone. If this is so, can I set up another e-mail account that would consistently get mails "pushed" to my phone? (that would also support Japanese text). Either a yahoo address or mac address.

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even searching google I don't know how to properly word my question so I get results that don't really apply to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chikara View Post

I honestly tried to search for anyone that might have previously asked this. I just got an iPhone after using a Verizon Droid for years. I use a g-mail account for e-mail with friends from Japan since that is more common that SMS text. The problem is the closest I can set the mails is to check every 15min. Is there a way to automatically "push" the e-mails so they show up as soon as they are received by the server? Since I am e-mail like most people text it is a back and forth conversation and I don't want to be hitting refresh on the mail app every second. I also don't want to try to wait every 15min to reply to friends.

I noticed only iCloud has it as a "push" setting and the gmail is a "fetch" setting. I don't know if that means I can't set it to automatically get mails pushed to the phone. If this is so, can I set up another e-mail account that would consistently get mails "pushed" to my phone? (that would also support Japanese text). Either a yahoo address or mac address.

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even searching google I don't know how to properly word my question so I get results that don't really apply to me.

The only email that automatically pushes into the iPhone is a me.com or mac.com account. Gmail is only fetch. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daftpunkstu View Post

have you tried microsoft exchange as that allows push wiht hotmal and google

1. Why would he waste his time with Exchange?

2. Stop hot linking that stupid image in every post. We have our own emoticons.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    Thanks I looked up how to set up gmail using exchange and it works perfectly now.

Thanks again!