Google, Samsung unveil Galaxy Nexus phone running Android 4.0

Comments

• Reply 121 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Um, I did? Reading Comprehension.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

.5+38.2+.2+.9+.7=40.5% running 2.3 or higher.

Fair enough.
  • Reply 122 of 182
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

And don't forget the great new superior camera that, when tested against the android phones, did not do so good as expected. Outperformed by the Galaxy S II and HTC Sensation in video, and by Galaxy S II and T-Mobile MyTouch Slide 4G in still images. ANd this doesn't include the recently releaseed Sony's Xperia Ray which is regarded as the best of the Android cameras (although not tested side by side yet)

"Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4S vs. the Android Elite"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24195...oid_elite.html

Lolz, I find it funny how people defend Apple in this case.

Honestly, I don't see THAT much improvements that can be made in small phones. Also, I think there would be a huge issue if they made too much improvements. Apple could have put a 10 MP camera....but from a business standpoint that would be terrible because you can't improve that much more. Entice them with SOME Jelly Beans, not all ("ooo, piece a candy!").
  • Reply 123 of 182
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually the number of Android devices on any 1.x version is very tiny: Less than 2.5%. Your daughter's phone is the rare exception rather than the rule.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

First, how about an unbiased source?

Second, note that they are apparently measuring only those people who visited Android Marketplace - which is grossly biased toward newer purchasers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

And don't forget the great new superior camera that, when tested against the android phones, did not do so good as expected. Outperformed by the Galaxy S II and HTC Sensation in video, and by Galaxy S II and T-Mobile MyTouch Slide 4G in still images. ANd this doesn't include the recently releaseed Sony's Xperia Ray which is regarded as the best of the Android cameras (although not tested side by side yet)

"Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4S vs. the Android Elite"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24195...oid_elite.html

Sorry, but I have a hard time taking a site seriously that doesn't understand margin of error. Saying that the iPhone 4S was outperformed by those phones over a few tenths of a percent difference suggests that they don't know what they are talking about.
  • Reply 124 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's about the EXPERIENCE, not about who can brag a little bit about a better spec.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Or, to roughly paraphrase, it's not just about having all the right parts, you also have to get them in the right order.

Or, to put it in street terms... It's not the meat, it's the motion!
  • Reply 125 of 182
    Quote:

Second, note that they are apparently measuring only those people who visited Android Marketplace - which is grossly biased toward newer purchasers.

You aren't going to get much more unbiased than the official Google Android Development Center. Those are the numbers that are quoted everywhere and used as the benchmark for future development. It's as close and as good as it gets.

"You're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts."
  • Reply 126 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Or, to put it in street terms... It's not the meat, it's the motion!

Not for those of us that were blessed with lots of meat!
  • Reply 127 of 182
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 128 of 182
    Quote:

Sorry, but I have a hard time taking a site seriously that doesn't understand margin of error. Saying that the iPhone 4S was outperformed by those phones over a few tenths of a percent difference suggests that they don't know what they are talking about.

They actually do note that the top three are so close that you could call any of them the winner.
  • Reply 129 of 182
    Quote:

Questers, how the hell do you get an unbiased source these days? Gizmomo, Cnet, Engadget, and even CNN are increasingly biased.
  • Reply 130 of 182
    Quote:

So only people with new phones go to the Market? . I have a friend with an old T-Mobile MyTouch 3G that would love to argue that
  • Reply 131 of 182
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Yet they chose not to mention this in the keynote, despite the beta tag. Siri is quite hobbled in Australia.

Ah, it's an interesting start. The key is to open up an API for Siri just like they did for Push services and so on. Rather than depending on Apple to do all the required localisations.

Things I'd like to do, besides Maps of course.

"Siri, which is cheaper right now, Fourex or Tooheys New?"

"Give me directions to the nearest Bottle-O"

"Siri... mate... I am so bloody wasted. Call a bloody cab for me, will ya?"

Siri responds: You are already home.

"In that case... drunk dial my ex-girlfriend for me and ask her to come over for a shag!"

In all seriousness though, Siri is as big as multi-touch was. At first it feels weird. But after a while. You just want to talk to it to do everything for you. Like opening up the API would allow eBay to allow their app to respond to things like, "Siri, how am I doing on eBay?". Weather and Stocks is like when there was no App Store. Siri-enabled apps will be the next App Gold Rush. Since Apple has to bear increased server loads processing Siri, Siri-enabled apps might have to be 60-40 instead of 70-30 revenue sharing. Or, Apple may simply absorb the costs just like they've absorbed iCloud, Push notifications and so on.
  • Reply 132 of 182
    deleted
  • Reply 133 of 182
    deleted
  • Reply 134 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Questers, how the hell do you get an unbiased source these days? Gizmomo, Cnet, Engadget, and even CNN are increasingly biased.

Just as you have always had to do...

If it's important enough to you:

-- Find all the information you can

-- Read it carefully, with honest skepticism

-- Look for bias and hidden agenda

-- Discerne if there is a financial (or other) benefit to the source

Weigh it all and form your own opinion....

...or just find a source that agrees with you* (or your agenda) and cite it!

* not you in particular, but anyone

...Anything published, in any form -- by definition is biased.
  • Reply 135 of 182
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It's a complete refont of the UI and you call it a minor update? Have you ever used an android?

Yes. The experience was much worse than I'd anticipated. It looks to me like they gave it a new lick of paint. The UI doesn't work any differently. Everything looks functionally the same, just less ugly. How is that a major update? If Apple released a new version of iOS where they'd just changed the look, added a new lock screen and added some gestures to existing apps, they're be torn apart.
  • Reply 136 of 182
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    That's one sweet looking phone! What I find most impressive is that they have managed to fit the huge 4.65'' screen into such a slender device -- finally no waste with bezels and buttons! This ergonomic shape, at only 135g, is pretty much as good as it gets...

Admittedly, the specs are going to be bested by a dozen of other phones within half a year, that's how Android rolls -- but ICS does look like a very mature and capable mobile OS, so it will be nice to see it on many devices.

On a different note, I didn't notice any lag in the videos -- I suppose if you're accustomed to gaudy zoom in-out transitions, you get the perception of "lag" in their absence...
  • Reply 137 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Just as you have always had to do...

If it's important enough to you:

-- Find all the information you can

-- Read it carefully, with honest skepticism

-- Look for bias and hidden agenda

-- Discerne if there is a financial (or other) benefit to the source

Weigh it all and form your own opinion....

...or just find a source that agrees with you* (or your agenda) and cite it!

* not you in particular, but anyone

...Anything published, in any form -- by definition is biased.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I'm taking logic class right now () and I'm still learning. I don't trust a lot of sources these days any way. Especially what happened this week. I was on Macrumors.com where some guy said he caught his wife cheating and the next day.....it was on the cover on yahoo! He never put in a legitimate source/evidence!

That blew my mind.
  • Reply 138 of 182
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

That's one sweet looking phone! What I find most impressive is that they have managed to fit the huge 4.65'' screen into such a slender device -- finally no waste with bezels and buttons! This ergonomic shape, at only 135g, is pretty much as good as it gets...

Admittedly, the specs are going to be bested by a dozen of other phones within half a year, that's how Android rolls -- but ICS does look like a very mature and capable mobile OS, so it will be nice to see it on many devices.

Since it's a Google Nexus without all the additional crap other vendors and carriers add to Android-based devices it'll likely still beat many newer and faster Android-based devices that come to market.
  • Reply 139 of 182
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wish I had more time to futz around with Android. I just don't. It might be cool, at least from the perspective of knowing what is going on in the Android ecosystem. Of course it might be interesting to know what is going on with the city sanitation department, but I don't have time for that either.

I understand completely.

That is exactly how pretty much everybody feels about OSX.
  • Reply 140 of 182
    Android is one ugly OS when it's barebottomed. I still prefer the Touchwiz (I'm in the minority here among the Android community!) vs stock 'Droid.