Apple rumored to have new dock connector for third-gen iPad by March 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's forthcoming third-generation iPad will have a newly redesigned dock connector, and will be released no earlier than March 2012, according to a new report.



Citing a "reliable Asian source," Japanese site Macotakara reported on Friday that Apple is preparing to release its next-generation iPad about a year after the iPad 2 debuted. The person reportedly said that the new iPad will be the same size as the iPad 2, but it is "not clear" if the tablet will sport a higher resolution Retina Display.



Production of the third-generation iPad is said to be under an "unusual rush schedule" due to the Chinese New Year on Jan. 23 and national holidays from Jan. 22 to 28. Factories will allegedly begin to produce the next iPad at the end of January.



The report said the so-called "iPad 3" will feature a redesigned, smaller dock connector, though the port will feature the same 30-pin input and electricity specification. The current design was first introduced in Apple's iPod lineup back in April of 2003.



Included are pictures of ribbon cables said to be from a prototype third-generation iPad, sold by a parts dealer from the Far East.







The site noted that the new dock connector will create compatibility issues with current products that utilize Apple's standard iPod 30-pin connector, forcing users to potentially buy new accessories and third-party manufacturers to make new products.



Finally, another source also reportedly suggested that Apple is currently building another device in the iOS family, to join the iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple TV. However, the information was described as "not reliable," though "interesting."
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 59
    THUNDERBOLT PINS?!



    Come on, Thunderbolt pins. Make syncing take a minute on a 64GB model.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 987member
    If Apple is serious about Thunderbolt then it should make a Thunderbolt connector for the dock.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    When they say it'll be the "same size," I assume it's in reference to the 9.7 inch, 4:3 screen. Surely a smaller connector is a good sign of thinner and lighter hardware, no?
  • Reply 4 of 59
    Can you say "Thunderbolt"?!
  • Reply 5 of 59
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,125member
    I think Docks have run their course.



    What I want is a Personal Area Network (PAN)





    I don't want to dock my iPhone/iPad to an iHome clock I simply want to place my iOS devices

    into a dock connected to power and have it connect to my clock and other "subscribed" devices.



    For small data I'm hoping Bluetooth 4.0 is sufficient for updates and other bits of metadata. It's got a 50 meter range and supports 200kbps throughput.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy



    Now that iOS 5 does wifi sync or backing up to the cloud I really need little in terms of physical connectivity to 3rd party devices.



    Of course YMMV
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Yayyyyyyy!



    iPad 3Dminiholowhatever ....
  • Reply 7 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) I agree with others about getting TB support into the next iDevice release.



    2) Of course people will complain and claim that Apple changed the dock connector so they can sell more accessories but let's look at the facts. A decade of the same 30-pin connector that is showing its age with it's large size compared to the devices it plugs into. What other vendors have used the same connector for that long and across so many products?





    PS: Off topic: re there any iPhone 4/4S 3rd-party docks that work with a case or Bumper on? I hate that Apple doesn't allow for both at the same time.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    In theory, you could get rid of the entire doc connector - just replace it with a small connector. The connector doesn't have to be USB, all it needs to do is charge the iPad battery. With iOS5, there's no need for a full connector since it doesn't have to be connected to the computer to even be synced.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    In theory, you could get rid of the entire doc connector - just replace it with a small connector. The connector doesn't have to be USB, all it needs to do is charge the iPad battery. With iOS5, there's no need for a full connector since it doesn't have to be connected to the computer to even be synced.



    You do need to a wired sync the first time to turn on WiFi sync to iTunes or if you just have iTunes Match just add each song to a new device. Neither are ideal for the capacity devices we have now and will have in the future. Capacity will grow much faster than real-world wireless through will grow. Having TB for syncing and charging will speed up both considerably compared to USB.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The site noted that the new dock connector will create compatibility issues with current products that utilize Apple's standard iPod 30-pin connector, forcing users to potentially buy new accessories and third-party manufacturers to make new products.





    I'm not sure whether those are compatibility issues or compatibility opportunities.



    Both Apple and third parties make huge amounts from the hardware ecosystem. iHome alone must pay Apple huge amounts to license the dock connector, and in return, make lots of sales of lots of products due to their use of Apple's connector. And there are a bazillion other companies like them (few as good, IMO).



    This will be a boon for them. It happens every few years with Apple's proprietary connectors. Everybody upgrading from the first two generations will need to buy all new docking stuff, and lots of new sales will be made of items the consumer already has, but which have been made obsolete.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    ... With iOS5, there's no need for a full connector since it doesn't have to be connected to the computer to even be synced.



    If this was true then there would be no need for the Ethernet connection on any of the Macs since they all have wireless as well, but that isn't really the case.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    If this was true then there would be no need for the Ethernet connection on any of the Macs since they all have wireless as well, but that isn't really the case.



    The doc connector does not provide an ethernet connection, only a faster connection to the computer. It has nothing to do with the WiFi connection. Proof: Turn off Wifi and 3G (if you have it) and try to surf anything on the web while connected to the computer. Can't do it, because the doc connector provides no data path to the computer for this functionality.



    So, I really don't understand your point. The Mac has a wired connection to make the throughput faster, but on the iPad, it makes no difference.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    The doc connector does not provide an ethernet connection



    No one SAID it did…



    Quote:

    , only a faster connection to the computer.



    And there; you've proven your argument wrong.



    Wi-Fi-only would be idiotic.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    As I understand it, Apple (or anyone) could make a connector/cable or a dock that includes one or more TB ports.



    Though TB would handle the physical connection and transmission, the device would interface using USB protocols/speed.



    Also, it is interesting to note that the current connector has pinouts to support FireWire -- so maybe that could be used instead of USB.



    At some point, though, the iPad will certainly need dual TB ports -- iPad 3, Quad Core CPU/GPU, Retina Display, 1-4 GB Ram, 128-256 GB SSD...



    ... Apps like FCPX, CAD, Photoshop... with a locally-resident Siri Application Interface/scripting capability...



    Well.. maybe iPad 4 for the last part.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    The doc connector does not provide an ethernet connection, only a faster connection to the computer. It has nothing to do with the WiFi connection. Proof: Turn off Wifi and 3G (if you have it) and try to surf anything on the web while connected to the computer. Can't do it, because the doc connector provides no data path to the computer for this functionality.



    So, I really don't understand your point. The Mac has a wired connection to make the throughput faster, but on the iPad, it makes no difference.



    Its an analogy. Think about it for a minute.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No one SAID it did?







    And there; you've proven your argument wrong.



    Wi-Fi-only would be idiotic.



    Huh? I said a faster connection to the computer, not to the computer's WiFi connection. Totally different. The justification for needing ethernet RJ45 connector and doc connector are two different topics.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    The dock connector is 8 years old so if it gets replaced with a smaller one that makes old accessories obsolete Apple can say that 8 years is enough. Most people will grumble and then buy replacements anyway.



    Currently Thunderbolt is not a suitable choice for iOS devices because active cabling (expensive, power consuming wires with chips at each end) is needed and because the communication chips that would have to go inside the devices are relatively large and power hungry.



    What might be possible, however, is for Apple to design a lower speed version of Thunderbolt that can work with ordinary copper wire over short distances. It would still be fast compared to USB 2, but not nearly as expensive or power hungry as Thunderbolt is today. So instead of two separate channels offering 10Gbps each, maybe the low power Thunderbolt would be one channel at 2Gbps. Even such a "crippled" Thunderbolt would offer real world performance 5 times that of USB 2.0.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post


    Its an analogy. Think about it for a minute.



    Wrong analogy. The real question is: Does the doc connector provide faster syncing than a WiFi connection? Perhaps, but is it needed?
  • Reply 19 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Huh? I said a faster connection to the computer, not to the computer's WiFi connection. Totally different. The justification for needing ethernet RJ45 connector and doc connector are two different topics.



    NO one is saying we need Ethernet on iDevices. Please reread those posts.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post


    What might be possible, however, is for Apple to design a lower speed version of Thunderbolt that can work with ordinary copper wire over short distances. It would still be fast compared to USB 2, but not nearly as expensive or power hungry as Thunderbolt is today. So instead of two separate channels offering 10Gbps each, maybe the low power Thunderbolt would be one channel at 2Gbps. Even such a "crippled" Thunderbolt would offer real world performance 5 times that of USB 2.0.



    This is what I assume, and what I assume others mean by wanting TB in iDevices. There is no need for the 10Gbps bi-directional speeds with the ability to daisy chain, etc. Just a significantly faster data speed and charging compared to USB.
Sign In or Register to comment.