iTunes Plus versus iTunes Match

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With iTunes Match coming very soon, will Apple phase out the iTunes Plus service along with it?

If so, it kinda underhanded of Apple to continue and offer that service (which can be costly) when within days (weeks) they will be debuting the iTunes Match service which provides the same level of service for free.

Or am I missing something here? Are early DRM-enabled, iTunes songs that I purchased from the iTunes Music Store not part of the iTunes Match service?

Thank in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Could have sworn iTunes Plus has been discontinued for about three years now?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could have sworn iTunes Plus has been discontinued for about three years now…

Nope. Its still there... What I find strange is this statement on Apple's site:

Quote:

If you want the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It’s built right into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. And it lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Does not really mention if previous iTunes purchases (currently DRM enabled files) are eligible...

I would be quite aggravated with Apple if my Amazon and ripped songs are "upgraded" but not my original 200+ iTunes purchases...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I don't know for sure about iTunes Match, but I do still have some tracks in my library that have never been upgraded to iTunes Plus, mostly tracks that are no longer available in the store. If you redowload them from "iTunes in the Cloud," they are still DRM-protected, 128 kbps files.

I assume that if iTunes Match doesn't upgrade such files automatically, you could always burn them to CD and rip them to MP3, at which point iTunes Match would upgrade them to iTunes Plus files. As I said, though, the only tracks I have left are no longer available in the store anyway.