MacBook Pro Dual Monitor Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My plan is to buy a 15" MacBook Pro I7 Quad-core with 8 gigs of RAM (when the processor upgrade hits in a few weeks?), to be used primarily as a desktop replacement - maybe 10% of the time, it will travel with me. But as a desktop replacement, it will need to support a dual monitor setup. The nearest Apple Store is roughly 100 miles from me. So I stopped by a local Best Buy to have a look around... maybe buy the monitors and get those mounted this weekend. But after talking to their (not so well versed) associates, what I assumed would be a relatively simple hook-up seemed to become a "maybe you can/maybe you can't" situation. I was prepared to buy a couple of LG 23" LED monitors last night, but walked out with nothing... but a headache.

Can anyone here tell me what I would need to accomplish this? The whole package will be new (computer and monitors), so please be as specific as you can. The heaviest task that the computer and monitors will need to handle is AutoCAD and Feature CAM (CAD/CAM). Other than that, it will be a trading station and just be used to surf the web, stream videos, etc... normal tasks.

To maintain the highest resolution for the CAD/CAM work (something the Best Buy kids told me I'd lose/have to compromise), what cables, etc. do I need? Are there any monitors that I need to stay AWAY from running duals on a MacBook Pro?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some detailed advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

I was prepared to buy a couple of LG 23" LED monitors last night, but walked out with nothing... but a headache.

The setup for Apple displays works via daisy chaining like in the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP1thwUcO9c

This won't work for 3rd party displays. You'll need to get an adaptor like the Matrox Double or TripleHead2Go shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8R6jOFP4tY

The dual version is just over $200.

As for monitors, as long as you get an IPS screen, you should get a decent quality panel. The DualHead2Go supports up to 1920 x 1200 so you should be able to get two of the following or similar:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR24w-24-in...478000&sr=1-56

Total cost should be just over $900 but you can shop around for better deals.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Marvin,

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate those solutions and that information. When the MBP processor upgrade hit last week, I contacted Apple. The only dual monitor solution the sales rep proposed was a MBP and a couple of Thunderbolt ACD's. Early in my career, I worked on commission for awhile too, so I couldn't fault him for trying.

So I'm going to take what you've given me here and do a "Ben Franklin" comparison of a MBP with the DualHead2Go and a couple of mid-range monitors vs. an iMac 3.4 Ghz and one ACD. Losing the portability is something that I'm REALLY going to have to think hard about - at least until I can get something like a suitable MBA or maybe even an iPad 3(?).

Again, thanks much!