iPhone in israel

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Going to israel in a few weeks just got my iPhone 4S need to know which carrier is best to use whilst in Israel(Cost.reception).And also is iOS 5 carrier un-lockable yet cause I've never actually had to carrier unlock it.Thanks alot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    ATT or CDMA carrier?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    If it is from Sprint or Verizon, then they are at the least unlocked for international carriers (or they will do the international unlock upon request). If it is from AT&T, then it is fully GSM locked and you won't be able to use a local SIM at all, meaning you will use your AT&T SIM and pay roaming.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

If it is from Sprint or Verizon, then they are at the least unlocked for international carriers (or they will do the international unlock upon request). If it is from AT&T, then it is fully GSM locked and you won't be able to use a local SIM at all, meaning you will use your AT&T SIM and pay roaming.

Yeah its the GSM iPhone what about jailbreaking to unlock is there one available for the iphone 4S yet cause those AT&T rates are atrocious
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ....disable cellular data & use WiFi for surfing, Skype for calls. Using ATT's roaming charges would likely bankrupt you.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post

Yeah its the GSM iPhone what about jailbreaking to unlock is there one available for the iphone 4S yet cause those AT&T rates are atrocious

Not yet and I wouldn't count on one soon i.e. the last unlock for iPhone 4 was a long time ago and the 4S won't be easier.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfterka View Post

....disable cellular data & use WiFi for surfing, Skype for calls. Using ATT's roaming charges would likely bankrupt you.

Good idea, but I've found relying on hotspots can be frustrating at the best of time.

I'll probably never buy a locked phone again. Being able to travel with my ip4 has been awesome (albeit nowhere as exotic as Israel).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Good idea, but I've found relying on hotspots can be frustrating at the best of time.

I'll probably never buy a locked phone again. Being able to travel with my ip4 has been awesome (albeit nowhere as exotic as Israel).

Thats what I dont get what does it matter if I swap out the sim if I still pay AT&T while im in Israel for a few weeks?They still get paid regardless vile company.Hopefully the unlock doesnt take as long as it did last time around
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Thats what I dont get what does it matter if I swap out the sim if I still pay AT&T while im in Israel for a few weeks?They still get paid regardless vile company.Hopefully the unlock doesnt take as long as it did last time around

They still get paid, but they don't get paid the obscene roaming rates.

I completely agree with you. Regardless of the phone being locked or unlocked, you are contractually obligated to continue paying your monthly fees. But the carriers all use an artificially introduced defect (lock) to prevent you from doing business with other carriers using your own property. In any other industry that would be restraint of trade, which is usually illegal. Somehow the carriers are able to create an entire business model around it.

You might want to look into how much a 'disposable' prepaid phone is over there. Also you could look into picking up one of those mifi type devices (unlocked). If you used one of those you'd have a portable wifi hotspot and be able to pay local data rates. Then using Skype and other data only solutions becomes viable. Also, even though we know they will say no, it can't hurt to give AT&T a call and see if they will unlock it for you.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

They still get paid, but they don't get paid the obscene roaming rates.

I completely agree with you. Regardless of the phone being locked or unlocked, you are contractually obligated to continue paying your monthly fees. But the carriers all use an artificially introduced defect (lock) to prevent you from doing business with other carriers using your own property. In any other industry that would be restraint of trade, which is usually illegal. Somehow the carriers are able to create an entire business model around it.

You might want to look into how much a 'disposable' prepaid phone is over there. Also you could look into picking up one of those mifi type devices (unlocked). If you used one of those you'd have a portable wifi hotspot and be able to pay local data rates. Then using Skype and other data only solutions becomes viable. Also, even though we know they will say no, it can't hurt to give AT&T a call and see if they will unlock it for you.

Yeah I would really like to bring my iPhone hopefully theres a jailbreak/unlock by the time I go.I refuse to pay AT&T's international roaming,heck I cant afford it
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Yeah I would really like to bring my iPhone hopefully theres a jailbreak/unlock by the time I go.I refuse to pay AT&T's international roaming,heck I cant afford it

Could always try to see what you can get by selling your AT&T phone and buy an unlocked unit instead. Roaming and carrier portability are the two reasons I will probably never buy locked again.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    r99r99 Posts: 2member
    If you manage to unlock the phone, despite what others are telling you, you CAN use the phone in Israel. I know this for a fact. There are plenty of iPhone users out there. Cellcom is a GSM network in Israel and I recommend it. Orange Israel are also GSM. Both networks offer 3G service. Have a look for yourself to see what you prefer.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r99 View Post

If you manage to unlock the phone, despite what others are telling you, you CAN use the phone in Israel. I know this for a fact. There are plenty of iPhone users out there. Cellcom is a GSM network in Israel and I recommend it. Orange Israel are also GSM. Both networks offer 3G service. Have a look for yourself to see what you prefer.

Who told him he couldn't use an unlocked phone in Israel?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Im aware that it will work there I just needed to know what cell carriers to use and if there was a jailbreak available for the 4S as Ive never had the need to jailbreak ever having been an iPhone user since 2007
  • Reply 14 of 15
    r99r99 Posts: 2member
    For the time being there is still no jailbreak available for the 4s. The only way to unlock it is to have it unlocked by your carrier.
  • Reply 15 of 15

Were you able to buy local service for your iPhone in Israel?

What carrier did you use?

I have an unlocked iPhone 4S, and I'd like to be able to use it without paying AT&T's obscene roaming fees.

Do you have any tips to offer?