Software update has trashed my machine

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Please help if you know how to deal with this.

I just installed iTunes 2.0.4 via Software Update and after installation it requires a re-boot.

Instead of re-booting I get a black screen with kernel panic messages. the machine is dead at this point. I have tried zapping the pram, no good. I have tried holding the option key down to boot to OS 9, again no good I still get the kernel panic.

I have used disk warrior , no faults found, and I can now boot to OS9, but I can't change back to OS X, I get the black screen and it hangs.

I have OS9 and OSX in the same partition. I have tried removing my scussi card and that is the only additional part. I have also removed eack memory module to see if there was a fault there, none found.

I don't know where to go from here, I need access to my OS X apps, lots of data there. what should I do?

Thanks.

PS My other 4 machines all took the upgrade faultlessly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I have used Disk Warrior as you can see from my first post but I havn't tried Disk Utility from the OS CD. I'll have a go.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    weird, my parent's iMac kernal panicked when i installed iTunes last night as well, but seems to be fine now. hope it works out for you. sounds like it might be OSX reinstall time.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Get Norton Utilities. I got the same thing and it got me in to OS X in about an hour, easy as nothing....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I phoned the Apple help desk, couldn't get into the machine. I could just boot to CD and then re-boot to OS 9, but as I had applied the 'Software updates" the version of OS X was newer than my original CD so the CD won't let you re-install so I spent a day erasing and re-installing everything.

"OS X does that sometimes" - Apple help desk!