Should Apple buy Yahoo?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google and Microsoft are currently interesting in Yahoo, which appears to be on the brink of failure. Google and Microsoft are said to be considering staking private equity funds to purchase Yahoo, rather than purchasing outright.



One scenario for Apple would be to stake a private equity fund to purchase Yahoo in exchange for Yahoo's patent portfolio. Other reasons Apple might be interested in Yahoo could be to have their own search engine, to try to migrate Yahoo account holders to iCloud (at least for those with one or more Apple products), or to cherry-pick Yahoo's best software development teams.



From an antitrust perspective, an Apple acquisition of Yahoo should raise fewer concerns than a Google or Microsoft acquisition because Apple are not in the search engine business.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    No, Apple should wait until it has enough money and buy Google. Hostile takeover. They can't have any search systems in their blood before that, otherwise it would never ever be allowed through.



    Yahoo! as a company isn't worth the amount of time it takes to properly type their company name.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, Apple should wait until it has enough money and buy Google. Hostile takeover. They can't have any search systems in their blood before that, otherwise it would never ever be allowed through.



    The Competition Directorate General of the European Commission would never allow Apple to buy Google because of the iOS / Android competition in the mobile phone market.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    What value does Yahoo bring to the table?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post


    The Competition Directorate General of the European Commission would never allow Apple to buy Google because of the iOS / Android competition in the mobile phone market.



    Since when do the Europeans have any say over what American company buys whatever other American company?!



    They want to complain about it? Fine, Apple just won't offer their post-Google search in Europe anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Since when do the Europeans have any say over what American company buys whatever other American company?!



    They want to complain about it? Fine, Apple just won't offer their post-Google search in Europe anymore.



    It's because it effects the European economy. It sucks I know...



    Quote:

    What value does Yahoo bring to the table?



    Aside from web hits, big servers, huge IM numbers and a tech-blog. Not much.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Since when do the Europeans have any say over what American company buys whatever other American company?!



    Since Apple started selling their products in the European Union. Apple could stop selling their products in EU and then the EU competition authorities would have nothing to say about it.



    Airbus lobbied the EU competition authorities to block the Boeing / McDonnell Douglas merger, but the EU approved it with some conditions.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Yahoo is the next AOL



    Stay Away Apple!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post


    From an antitrust perspective, an Apple acquisition of Yahoo should raise fewer concerns than a Google or Microsoft acquisition because Apple are not in the search engine business.



    What has Yahoo got that Apple want?



    When you can work out what the failing business can offer Apple, you have the answer.



    (Not a lot).



    Google and MS need Yahoo for Anti Trust purposes. If Yahoo goes, Google is in a world of hurt, and MS probably aren't in a good place either.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Hey Tim buy yahoo and shut out google completely then sue samesung droid listen to the oracle global thermonuclear on all
    tinman0 wrote: »

    What has Yahoo got that Apple want?


    When you can work out what the failing business can offer Apple, you have the answer.


    (Not a lot).


    Google and MS need Yahoo for Anti Trust purposes. If Yahoo goes, Google is in a world of hurt, and MS probably aren't in a good place either.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Well lets see yahoo needs mobile apple needs search to integrate Siri and web advertising who would then use google nobody they would go chapter 11
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Well lets see yahoo needs mobile apple needs search to integrate Siri and web advertising who would then use google nobody they would go chapter 11
Sign In or Register to comment.