Is the Apple 8gb ram worth it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've searched online, and haven't found much luck with new articles.

I live in Australia and I want to buy the new Macbook Pro (2.4GHz) but I'd like to expand to 8gb Ram. Is $240 (AU) worth it? If not, I would prefer not to do it myself, as I reallllly don't want to break a new Macbook!

Any recommendations, or locations that do it cheaper in Sydney?

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No, of course not. NEVER buy RAM or HDD upgrades from Apple.

Buy from a third party. NO idea if Newegg services you guys, but their prices are far and away infinitely better than Apple's.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    As was said in the previous reply, you'd be much better off buying RAM from a reputable 3rd party. This is true of most mass produced/OEM computers, not just Apple. And you won't break the MacBook. Installing RAM is incredibly easy. If you can use a screwdriver and you don't have INCREDIBLY shaky hands, you'll do just fine.

I finally ordered my Mac a few days ago... with the base RAM. And the same day, I ordered 16 gigs of RAM from a 3rd party. I'm fairly handy with a toolbox. But even if I wasn't, installing RAM is about the easiest thing to do on a computer, other than plugging in the mouse and keyboard.

Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Australian pricing in general is weird. You guys pay way too much for electronics . My suggestion is to buy from a company that does test it in macs, but really just find some that matches the specs and avoid weird memory brands. If you're ordering from whatever the Australian version of newegg is (as in a bulk electronics site) check the comments for results people have previously had using it in macs. Macbooks are really quite common so it's not hard to find this.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The only thing is you have to be VERY careful opening it up and closing it.

I recently installed in my mother's 13-inch MacBook Pro 2.53 GHZ (Mid 2009) that I gave her for Christmas that year (TMI), a SSD & 8 GB of RAM. It was a brilliant upgrade. really added to the life left in the machine.

However, putting back in one of the angled screws on the side, my screwdriver slipped and put in a 1 inch scratch.

I had to, from my own guilt, buy her a new bottom panel for $75 and now it doesn't have her serial number (just blank). I feel really bad about it. But the new panel sure is shiny!

Funny thing is, I gave her my old iMac, so now she doesn't use her MBP anymore. All that work for nothing.

Back to OP, be over the top careful if you do any upgrades on the Pro yourself. It's a lot of screws not to screw up on. Nothing hard about it at all, easy computer to upgrade, but accidents can happen.