Lion OS X Security & Stability Questions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

My mac was hacked before and somehow they had remote access to my macbook pro. I was using snow leopard.

I have Lion OS X now,but I am seeing the rainbow wheel (busy) too much. The kernel_task is using 508MB out of 4GB while I am only using Chrome & Firefox without any extensions and no heavy software installed.

I have an up to date ClamXav antivirus,it shows that there are no infected files, but I am worried that I might have a newer version of this trojan

1. Do you recommend any anti spyware software to make sure I dont have any trojans or keylogers?

2. Is it normal that kernel_task uses between 300 & 508MB of the memory at any time?

3. There are more than one Google Chrome Renderer and Google Chrome Helper in Activity Monitor, is that normal?

4. The VDCAssistant is running, when I terminated it in Activity Monitor, it starts again. Does that mean someone has remote access to my isight cam?

5. Is there a way to make sure that my system has not been modified by a developer? I mean that they did not install a trojan but changed the behavior of the operating system.

6. Finally, can they do that by simply sending me a link or a pdf file even if I don't install anything?

Thank you,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Remove your antivirus. It's wasting your system resources and probably the reason for that.

Quote:

Do you recommend any anti spyware software to make sure I dont have any trojans or keylogers?

I recommend having none.

Quote:

Is it normal that kernel_task uses between 300 & 508MB of the memory at any time?

Well, let's see. Mine's using 484 and I have 6GB, so I imagine it's normal. I'm certainly not very well versed in that sort of thing, though.

Quote:

There are more than one Google Chrome Renderer and Google Chrome Helper in Activity Monitor, is that normal?

I believe so, though I don't use Chrome. Apparently it has a modded version of WebKit1 that allows tabs to be run as separate threads.

Quote:

The VDCAssistant is running, when I terminated it in Activity Monitor, it starts again. Does that mean someone has remote access to my isight cam?

If the light isn't on, it isn't on. It's hardwired thus.

Quote:

Is there a way to make sure that my system has not been modified by a developer? I mean that they did not install a trojan but changed the behavior of the operating system.

That's just not possible.

Quote:

Finally, can they do that by simply sending me a link or a pdf file even if I don't install anything?

Not at all. Just keep your OS up to date and install security patches to stop that. Only download from trusted sources (either personally or those your browser tells you are trusted). Never update Flash from ANYWHERE but Adobe.com.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsecurity View Post

Hi,

My mac was hacked before and somehow they had remote access to my macbook pro.

And you know this... how exactly?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsecurity View Post

Hi,

My mac was hacked before and somehow they had remote access to my macbook pro. I was using snow leopard.

I have Lion OS X now,but I am seeing the rainbow wheel (busy) too much. The kernel_task is using 508MB out of 4GB while I am only using Chrome & Firefox without any extensions and no heavy software installed.

I have an up to date ClamXav antivirus,it shows that there are no infected files, but I am worried that I might have a newer version of this trojan:

1. Do you recommend any anti spyware software to make sure I dont have any trojans or keylogers?

2. Is it normal that kernel_task uses between 300 & 508MB of the memory at any time?

3. There are more than one Google Chrome Renderer and Google Chrome Helper in Activity Monitor, is that normal?

4. The VDCAssistant is running, when I terminated it in Activity Monitor, it starts again. Does that mean someone has remote access to my isight cam?

5. Is there a way to make sure that my system has not been modified by a developer? I mean that they did not install a trojan but changed the behavior of the operating system.

6. Finally, can they do that by simply sending me a link or a pdf file even if I don't install anything?

Thank you,

OK, pack it all up in a box and send it back. You are too stupid to own/operate a computer of any kind. (But are most likely a spambot or troll)