S t e v e - J o b s

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Apple Co-founder, Steve Jobs.

Should the "c" is "Co" be capitalized? Is the use of the comma correct?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    In titles, at least, both are capitalized. And your comma's correct, yes.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If it's not a title, e.g. it's the subject of the sentence, the "c" should not be capitalized, as it's not an official position or title.

"Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs, was a man who touched our lives in many ways."
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Does one write "Co-**mma"?

*Of course not!

Heck. How would you like it if someone sent an iMessage to your i-Phone?

Drop the hyphen for fakes sake... "cofounder".

**[see here--- Prefixes. Most common prefixes do not require a hyphen: aftereffect, antifreeze, cofounder, Internet, microwave, oversight, preempt, reexamine, supermarket, unbiased, underground.---] (î http://www.docstyles.com/cmscrib.htm î)

Websters too shines a light on this dark and rancid corner of grammatical ignorance. [see list here--- http://www.americanquarterly.org/sub..._March2010.pdf ---]
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Does one write "Co-**mma"?

*Of course not!

Heck. How would you like it if someone sent an iMessage to your i-Phone?

Drop the hyphen for fakes sake... "cofounder".

**[see here--- Prefixes. Most common prefixes do not require a hyphen: aftereffect, antifreeze, cofounder, Internet, microwave, oversight, preempt, reexamine, supermarket, unbiased, underground.---] (î http://www.docstyles.com/cmscrib.htm î)

Websters too shines a light on this dark and rancid corner of grammatical ignorance. [see list here--- http://www.americanquarterly.org/sub..._March2010.pdf ---]

Hmm... I've seen co-founder hundreds, perhaps thousands of times with the hyphen. I'm sure your example is the first time I've ever seen it without. There are, in fact, many individual terms in English that are hyphenated, and like many aspects of the mess that is the English language, it comes down to usage, not rules. Usage would say hyphen.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Co-founder is always hyphenated. Check any dictionary, including Apple's.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

When you say "both are capitalized", what do you mean?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

When you say "both are capitalized", what do you mean?

Sorry, both C and F in Co-Founder.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Sorry, both C and F in Co-Founder.

This would be incorrect. According to AP and CMOS, in titles, all hyphenated terms receive a capital only on the first word, unless the second word is a proper noun.

Apple Co-founder Steve Jobs, in a Nutshell
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This would be incorrect. According to AP and CMOS, in titles, all hyphenated terms receive a capital only on the first word, unless the second word is a proper noun.

Apple Co-founder Steve Jobs, in a Nutshell

Really? Huh. Bunch of wrong titles on articles, then. Even limited to Apple itself!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Really? Huh. Bunch of wrong titles on articles, then. Even limited to Apple itself!

There are other style manuals that say otherwise. Having worked in news media, however, I generally stick with AP.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Hmm... I've seen co-founder hundreds, perhaps thousands of times with the hyphen. I'm sure your example is the first time I've ever seen it without. There are, in fact, many individual terms in English that are hyphenated, and like many aspects of the mess that is the English language, it comes down to usage, not rules. Usage would say hyphen.

A lot of once hyphenated words are now written without it. It's your choice though, but I'm sure you wouldn't write "super-market" any more.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Co-founder is always hyphenated. Check any dictionary, including Apple's.

Maybe Apple's dictionary isn't the latest release? The hyphen wasn't dropped until the current, 11th edition of Websters, which I think came out in 2006.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

what is the big deal!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

what is the big deal!

Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation matter.

Unlike what my generation and below believes.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation matter.

Unlike what my generation and below believes.

"Proper" is subjective. Language evolves over time due to usage. If people don't use the what the dictionary says they should, they change the dictionary.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

"Proper" is subjective. Language evolves over time due to usage.

It's also there to convey meaning and if that meaning is conveyed, it has served its purpose.

I colud, witre lkie tihs - and "poelpe can sitll ~ raed' it no porbelm.

I think that people should take care when they want to share information so it's done in the most accurate way but spelling, grammar and punctuation are among the least important mistakes people can make and can be largely forgiven.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's also there to convey meaning and if that meaning is conveyed, it has served its purpose.

I colud, witre lkie tihs - and "poelpe can sitll ~ raed' it no porbelm.

I think that people should take care when they want to share information so it's done in the most accurate way but spelling, grammar and punctuation are among the least important mistakes people can make and can be largely forgiven.

Indeed, but it's nice to have everything right. It's for a flyer for a business I am the co-founder of, and I wanted to spend a little time getting it right, because I feel that attention to detail will reflect on the way people view my business as a whole.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Indeed, but it's nice to have everything right. It's for a flyer for a business I am the co-founder of, and I wanted to spend a little time getting it right, because I feel that attention to detail will reflect on the way people view my business as a whole.

In that case, personally, I think, Steve Jobs, Co-Founder flows best from a artistic-license and graphic design point of view. So that's the format that should be used for business cards.

For regular copy, Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple, Inc. works best for British and International English AFAIK.