Question about reinstalling OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well, I've acquired some problems with OS X (Print Manager always quits when I try to add printer ...so I cant even print yet, stuff aways asks for an Application to open it and wont....computer doesnt remember its setting when turned on sometimes (desktop picture gone and resolution changed), etc etc. Maybe something I downloaded caused this or whatever, but I want to just install OS X again. Anywayz, can I reinstall and get all the settings & stuff back? LIke not clean install so as to not erase everything that was on the desktop and hard drive. How would I go about doing this? Just use the Mac OS X install disk and boot up from the cd? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Anybody?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    Just reinstall.

Boot up from the cd that you have and install the system. Your home and any third party apps should be fine. You may lose some preferences but that's to be expected.

I had to downgrade from 10.1.3 to 10.1.2 so I took my 10.1 disk, reinstalled from there and reupgraded to 10.1.2.

I was scared too. It's actually quite easy though. Not as painful as I thought it would be at all.