Legal issues prompt Apple to remove Amazon Cloud music player from App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A third-party iOS application that streamed music from Amazon's Cloud Drive service has been removed from the App Store due to legal complications with the music industry.

James Clancey of Interactive Innovative Solutions, the developer responsible for the "aMusic" application on the App Store, revealed to Evolver.fm that his application, which interfaces with Amazon's Cloud Drive, was removed due to legal concerns. He said the software's absence from the App Store is temporary, but he doesn't have a date when it will be back.

Clancey is also the creator of another App Store application, "gMusic," that streams music stored via the Google Music Beta service. But an update for gMusic submitted to Apple for approval two weeks ago has been delayed.

The developer said he does not know why the gMusic application has been held up in Apple's approval process, as the company had previously OK'd software updates in less than 8 hours.

The report asserts that "labels were not too pleased with the way this app united Amazon's cloud music lockers with Apple's iOS devices." Amazon has not released an official iOS application for its cloud music service, though it does work through the Safari browser on an iPhone or iPad.

Both Amazon and Google opted to bypass licensing issues with the recording industry with their respective cloud-based music services. The services from Google and Amazon require users to upload their own personal music collections in order to play them back on other devices, though new purchases made through Amazon are automatically stored in the company's Cloud Drive.

The approaches from Google and Amazon are much different from Apple, which has opted to allow customers to re-download music on multiple devices rather than stream it. Apple also obtained the proper licenses for its forthcoming iTunes Match service, allowing users to match their personal library of songs with original files on iTunes, and download those songs again on any device at 256Kbps, for $24.99 per year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    interesting to note that AirBand which works with the mp3tunes cloud locker is still in the app store.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Are you guys going to talk about the fact that Apple missed the launch date for iTunes Match today?
  • Reply 3 of 47
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Amazing... you can buy music you just can't listen to it when you want or anywhere you want on any device you want. I wish the music industry would just die like the big dumb dinosaur it is.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Amazing... you can buy music you just can't listen to it when you want or anywhere you want on any device you want. I wish the music industry would just die like the big dumb dinosaur it is.

I guess the problem stems from people who unlike you, doesn't buy it they just steal it online which means no return on a huge investment. The good always suffers for the bad. The problem is they are going to die if they don't solve this problem, because the sales are slowing to a point where they can't take risk on smaller projects which means unless you only want the likes of Lady Gaga on the airwaves, learn to deal with the restrictions. No one wanted DRM but it did keep the thieves from just giving away someone else's hard work for free.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    And who wants to bet every other news blog will be reporting this story as "Apple pulls Amazon Cloud music player" and spin it as an anticompetitive move?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Are you guys going to talk about the fact that Apple missed the launch date for iTunes Match today?

What launch date? link please.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Many links out there from earlier in the month. Here's one:

'iTunes Match hits US 'end of October' for $24.99'

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/i...ober-for-24-99
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

He's right, at the iPhone 5 launch event they announced "end of october" for Match. I'm kind of surprised they announced a date and missed it, but I'm hopeful it means they're fixing problems (and it sure sounds like there were still things to be fixed).
  • Reply 9 of 47
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

He's right, at the iPhone 5 launch event they announced "end of october" for Match. I'm kind of surprised they announced a date and missed it, but I'm hopeful it means they're fixing problems (and it sure sounds like there were still things to be fixed).

iCloud is off to a terrible start.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

iCloud is off to a terrible start.

I'd agree although I'd argue that Match is a completely separate product from iCloud (although it shares some marketing), and that missing a deadline is a good thing if it means they're taking extra time to make improvements (which is hopefully the case). They absolutely should have waited longer on the iCloud release, totally not ready, but obviously they wanted to release it along with the new iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

I'd agree although I'd argue that Match is a completely separate product from iCloud (although it shares some marketing), and that missing a deadline is a good thing if it means they're taking extra time to make improvements (which is hopefully the case). They absolutely should have waited longer on the iCloud release, totally not ready, but obviously they wanted to release it along with the new iPhone.

What issues are you having with iCloud?

I wiped my iPad 2 and setup, restoring my backup from iCloud. This backup was 5.8GB in size (I have a 25GB iCloud account).

It restored all of my settings, app content, including 2GB of comics in the comic book reader. Once the restore finished it downloaded all of my apps perfectly without once having to connect to iTunes.

Pretty impressive stuff, took under 30 minutes start to finish.

I use iCloud for email, contacts, calendars (shared cals too). All working perfectly. Syncing between an iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and an HP laptop. Calendars are shared between 4 iCloud accounts.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

I wiped my iPad 2 and setup, restoring my backup from iCloud. This backup was 5.8GB in size (I have a 25GB iCloud account).

It restored all of my settings, app content, including 2GB of comics in the comic book reader. Once the restore finished it downloaded all of my apps perfectly without once having to connect to iTunes.

Pretty impressive stuff, took under 30 minutes start to finish.

I use iCloud for email, contacts, calendars (shared cals too). All working perfectly. Syncing between an iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and an HP laptop. Calendars are shared between 4 iCloud accounts.

Well for me, iCloud backup has been spotty at best on my iPhone 4. It's supposed to backup whenever the phone is plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi. But it rarely ever syncs automatically.

Sometimes I go into iCloud settings and the latest backup is from two days ago even though my phone is plugged in to the wall at home at least twice in the mornings and all night long on my nightstand.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Look at the apple boards, tons of issues. Duplicate contacts and calendar events, things disappearing and not syncing (including lost documents in the cloud). Issues converting mobileme accounts. I'm sure it's working fine for some people but this bun could have used a bit more time in the oven, shame it was rushed to match up with the iPhone release.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

And who wants to bet every other news blog will be reporting this story as "Apple pulls Amazon Cloud music player" and spin it as an anticompetitive move?

I'll take the bet!

What stakes? How about a Franklin?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

...missing a deadline is a good thing...

I love this forum! Apple can do no wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

Look at the apple boards, tons of issues. Duplicate contacts and calendar events, things disappearing and not syncing (including lost documents in the cloud). Issues converting mobileme accounts. I'm sure it's working fine for some people but this bun could have used a bit more time in the oven, shame it was rushed to match up with the iPhone release.

So, YOU have had no issues? You are going on forum posts where you have no idea of a users setup, the procedure they took to setup iCloud etc etc etc.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I love this forum! Apple can do no wrong.

Apple can do no wrong? That's a bizarre take on my post considering pretty much the rest of my post that you edited out (did you even read that part?) was bashing apple. But I guess it's more fun to edit people's posts to change what was said. Let's try it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I love...Apple...

There, much better.

Which would you prefer?

a) Software is released October 31 with tons of bugs

b) Software is released November 25 with fewer bugs (whether that's a missed deadline or not)

So which would YOU rather see?
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Well for me, iCloud backup has been spotty at best on my iPhone 4. It's supposed to backup whenever the phone is plugged in, locked, and connected to WiFi. But it rarely ever syncs automatically.

Sometimes I go into iCloud settings and the latest backup is from two days ago even though my phone is plugged in to the wall at home at least twice in the mornings and all night long on my nightstand.

Do you have a good solid broadband connection? In total I have:

1 x 4S

2 x 4

1 x 3GS

1 x iPad 2

All backing up successfully to iCloud overnight. If the internet drops out or is too slow uploading (backups can easily be over 1GB) I don't know if it automatically resumes the backup. I will try running the backup and killing my internet to see what happens. And , of course, it doesn't backup if nothing has changed in your apps, photos, settings etc.

edit: shit, didn't really think about how much data is uploading until now. I must be clocking 10+ GB to iCloud overnight.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Do you have a good solid broadband connection? In total I have:

1 x 4S

2 x 4

1 x 3GS

1 x iPad 2

All backing up successfully to iCloud overnight. If the internet drops out or is too slow uploading (backups can easily be over 1GB) I don't know if it automatically resumes the backup. I will try running the backup and killing my internet to see what happens. And , of course, it doesn't backup if nothing has changed in your apps, photos, settings etc.

Yes, I have a good solid internet connection. Using Time Warner Cable Roadrunner High Speed which has been rock solid for years. The only time I ever have an issue with the connection is when the power goes out (which is rare).

We only have two laptop between us, and two iPhones, so it's not like we're pinging the internet constantly. Especially when we're asleep.

Let me add, if I initiate a manual backup, it completes in less than a minute (backup is only 211MB according to iCloud). So it's not like the backup would be bombarding my wireless connection.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I agree ... it was supposed to launch in October!