minor Finder annoyance in OS 9

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On a number of OS 9 systems I have seen a small problem creep in soon after reinstallling the system. It is no big deal but I am curious if anyone else knows of this or of a fix.

In a finder window you can start typing and the finder selection will jump to the first file name that starts with the string you type.

So far so good. If you now press the tab key the selection should jump to the next file in alphabetical order.

On some systems this breaks and pressing the tab key causes a jump to the first file/folder in alphabetical order.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    didnt' know it did this, but i'll look into it. does this happen after any particular update? also, what version of 9 are you running?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Well to be completely honest with you, I didn't know that you could use the tab key to navigate files like that. This said, I'm not terribly sure if my system is working correctly or not, but I don't think that it is. In this instance, If I type "L," it goes to the first log file. Tab then takes it in this order: the second log file, MacOS 9, MacOS 9.1, Photo Bank, Photos, Recipies, SystemFolder....

Odd indeed.

On another note, you could always use the arrow keys to navigate. That's what I've always done, and it always does what I expect.

p.s. Using OS 9.1

[Edit: sorry about posting image twice.]

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hmm, in my OS 9.2.1 it still works to use the tab key. this has been installed on here for a long time, so i don't know that it's a timing issue, at least not with the OS in general.

do you have any out of the ordinary software on your machine? does this always happen after specific events/time frame when you install a new copy of the OS?

does it happen on every mac you use, or only one? do the machines that have this problem all have the same software on them?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I've seen this on probably half a dozen Macs over the last couple of years. (iMacs, PBs, G4s). After installing or updating OS 9 it works fine. Since this is not a major feature I don't easily notice when it goes South and even when it goes away it is not a big deal so we mostly ignore it.

The only thing I can think of that these machines have in common is that we always have installed the Japanese Language Kit (or in OS 9 did a custom install to add Japanese script).

Since it works in the beginning and goes away I suspect a preference file somewhere is getting confused. Someday when I get ambitious I'll track it down.