Best network setup n & g: 1) AP Extreme n; 2) AP Extreme g; 3) tow AP Express g

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just deactivated the wireless radio on my Verizon Fios wireless router an switched my wireless duties to an AP Extreme (n) base station in bridge mode. I had planned to run in b/g compatible mode so that I can use two AP Expresses (g) as a WDS and stream music to receivers.

Unfortunately, the AP Expresses would not connect to this network. So I hooked up my old AP Extreme g to the ethernet port of the APExt n and put it in bridge mode and made a g-based network on a separate channel. Everything is working as expected.

The only downside is that I now have two wireless networks, an 802.11n (2.4ghz) and an 802.11g. Is there a way to configure the 'g' network so that it does not appear separately in the list of network?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    So the "new" Airport Extreme is not the newest model? ... if it IS, it can be set up to deliver two separate networks (one N and one G) using the same name/password.

If you're using two different routers though (like you are now) there's no way to set up networks on separate bands except the way you've done it.

You're just gonna have to live with two names... or... you can set one of the networks to be "hidden"... in other words, it will be there, and available to anyone who KNOWS it's there, but it won't broadcast it's name. (It will still be a viable second network, but without showing up to anyone looking for a network.)

That setting is SOMEWHERE in the Airport Setup app ... but I couldn't say exactly where.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Thanks. No, this is not the newest extreme (n). I Believe I got it at the end of 2008.

I thought about the hidden option. One reason I am keeping the g network is my fios set top box. It uses wifi for on demand, etc. I am assuming that the STB does not have n, but I really don't know. If I set they network to hidden, would devices like this be able to use it?

Erutritriendy, thanks so much. If nothing else works, I will definitely put diamox on both routers. It think one treatment should work, but I am open to advice.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

I thought about the hidden option. One reason I am keeping the g network is my fios set top box. It uses wifi for on demand, etc. I am assuming that the STB does not have n, but I really don't know. If I set they network to hidden, would devices like this be able to use it?

I would assume that the FIOS box has a settings page where YOU can enter the NAME and Password for the network you want it to connect to... (as opposed to picking from a list of available networks) and it will then save that setting.

You will always be able to manually enter the name/password and access the network (even when it's hidden) ... but it won't show up on a list when some device is asking you to "choose" from available networks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I would assume that the FIOS box has a settings page where YOU can enter the NAME and Password for the network you want it to connect to... (as opposed to picking from a list of available networks) and it will then save that setting.

You will always be able to manually enter the name/password and access the network (even when it's hidden) ... but it won't show up on a list when some device is asking you to "choose" from available networks.

Thanks. I can't find any technical info on accessing the FIOS STB (only the router) but may tinker with this on the weekend. Verizon uses a wireless signal to communicate with the box, but I don't think they endorse making this connection with any device other than the router they supply. At least their tech who installed this didn't warm up to the idea.

Overall, the set-up is working well. I think I will leave the network visibility as-is, because guests might want to connect a device that is limited to 'g' wireless.